Leaf Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oddball

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hey there its me again! Before i go head long and buy these guys i want to get as much knowledge about em as possible so if anyone has any experience with them please tell! The species in particular is Nandus Nandus and i would like if at all possible to get a pair and maybe breed them if that is at all possible, if i cant get these i might like a shot at some other form of mimic predator so again any suggestions?

Here is some info from a previous post of mine-

Monocirrhus polyacanthus or South American Leaf Fish and Polycentrus schomburgki or South American Leaf Fish (Schomburk's leaf fish) are found in in north eastern South America. Polcentropsis abbreviata (African Leaf Fish) occurs in west Africa and Nandus nandus in Asia, from India to Tailand.

The South American species inhabit slow moving waters in the Peruvian Amazon. They are delicate fish for the specailist and will often only accept live foods. If the water is not to their liking they will refuse to eat full stop. The tank should have a slow filtration and be furnished with Bogwood and plants the water should be soft and slightly acidic. You may have trouble finding one os the African species so this may be useful. All leaf fish are hard to feed and need good water conditions, for a first time keeper I would recommend you try a species aquarium first.

out of curiosity, how expensive are these fish, i heard they are quite rare...

maybe they're just rare in Australia? and common in other places

we-ell i can get them for around £8 a head but thats liable to alter after shipping as my local lfs imports so i may have to pay freight fee (eeeeep) but thanks for the info, out of curiosity the does anyone know tank specs for Nandus Nandus?

Oddball said:
we-ell i can get them for around £8 a head but thats liable to alter after shipping as my local lfs imports so i may have to pay freight fee (eeeeep) but thanks for the info, out of curiosity the does anyone know tank specs for Nandus Nandus?
A species tank of around 30-40 gallons is best and they will only except live foods for quite some time. Provide plenty of hiding/lurking places in the way of tall reedy plants.

So guppy and danio diet for the leafy dudes then? i have a tank of 80 gals with a few butterfly fish (fully grown) and a synodontis eupterus and a gold nugget pleco is this good enough?

It should be fine providing the conditions match the Leaf fishes needs it is ok, the other fish are relativly hardy once settled so they should be able to cope with the conditions the Leaf fish need. As long as there aren't any lively large midwater fish that might bother them then it is fine and a diet of Guppies and Dainios is good, buy you should always try to wean them of these on to more nutritional foods.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back