Lazy clean up crew

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Andrew Bishop

Reaction score
my clean up crew which is 3 plecos, 2 Kuhli Loachs, and a catfish. They never come out and clean the tank. I figured because there wasnt much sign of algea, now there is and they still do not come out and clean. Any suggestions to help get them to be active. I have a 55 gallon tank and water parameters and temp are normal.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

They are all nocturnal fishes and come out after dark. If you don't have many plants in the tank they will hide during the day and come out after the lights go out. If you add lots of plants, including floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) they will be more likely to come out during the day.

2 Kuhli Loachs,
You need at least 6 more oh these, Kuhlis do not eat algae.

and a catfish.
What sort of catfish?

3 plecos,
BN plecos? plecos are actually omnivores and need more in their diet than just algae.

I have a 55 gallon tank and water parameters and temp are normal.
Can you give us the actual numbers?

A photo of the tank would be helpful.

Welcome to TFF.

No fish is going to "clean up" algae. While some will eat common algae, when algae becomes a problem, which usually means a specific type such as brush algae, the common algae eating fish will not touch it.

Dealing with algae involves establishing a balance between light and nutrients, if you have plants. Without plants, algae will be present if the aquarium is at all healthy, and it is not a bad thing but should be kept under control.

Can you be more specific about the "normal" water parameters?

Most reactions

trending

Back