Large Glass Fish Tank Outside?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BlueRam

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been thinking of buying a large secand hand glass and building into a bank of earth and using it as pond so I can view from 3 sides and from the top.  Has anyone done this before and would the tank hold up to the extreme temperatures we have in the UK around -15 during teh winter and the sun hitting it in the summer?

I think temp is your problem. Usually its recommended that ponds are 4 - 5 ft deep so the fish can get deep to get away from the cold in the winter. The temp in a tank would just plummet too much killing your fish imo.
And again in the summer, if its in direct sunlight the temp will just rise too high too quick.. not to mention the amount of algae and green water you would have so you wouldnt even see your fish even if they did survive.

I think glass would crack or shatter eventually. Too big of temp swings even if over time extreme cold will make glass break easy.

It's been done before. As said, the issue is mainly stopping it from freezing. At the coldest temperatures an exposed tank will become a block of ice. You could put a heater in it though, set nice and low. May need a separate heater and temp controller to do it as they tend not to have settings that low on them.

Most of the ones I've seen have been of plywood construction mainly, and were used to house tankbusters that should never really have been bought for the aquariums, but at least an effort was made to keep them somewhere more sensible. The heating costs on those was fairly high though.

OK, shame.  Anyone know of a pond with a glass/perpex  window in it so you can view the fish from the side as well?  I have seen custom made Koi ponds but wondered if there was anything "off teh shelf"?

BlueRam said:
OK, shame.  Anyone know of a pond with a glass/perpex  window in it so you can view the fish from the side as well?  I have seen custom made Koi ponds but wondered if there was anything "off teh shelf"?
Iv seen small free standing "ponds" (if you can call it that) with side viewing windows. But these where very small, approx 100L MAX! Never seen anything bigger than this "off the shelf". Again with something this small temperature is a real problem. I think this will be a custome build. Iv seen plenty of tutorial vids on youtube for this exact same thing, out of the ground ponds with viewing window. Shouldnt be too hard to find:)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back