The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Donya

Crazy Crab Lady
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Just wanted to post a word of caution about something I just ran into today, since I haven't seen something quite like this before during many years of keeping large shells in tanks with marine fish. I'm breaking down some of my tanks in preparation for a move, which involves rehoming some fish. This afternoon, a Bangai cardinal of mine, which is one of a few fish that have to go before the move, saw me get the net out and then thought it would be neat to slowly swim into a large empty whelk shell that was there for some large Clibanarius hermits in the same tank. He carefully and decisively went into it and then just didn't come out. It wasn't the sort of panicked, split-second dash that I've seen result in stuck fish before - it was a slow and careful entry into something with no exit and numerous other potential hiding spots nearby. After a while, there was a lot of thrashing about and wobbling the shell and I realized the cardinal must have wedged itself inside and needed intervention. I recently got some bone cutters for breaking up live rock and coral skeletons, and those made the job pretty easy (not sure how I would have been able to do it otherwise - good tool to have on hand!). I was able to clip away the shell one piece at a time without harming the fish and saw that he really had gone in as far as he'd fit, which bent him around in a way that made it impossible to back up. So, now I know be careful with dumb fish and large spiral passages to nowhere. Some other shells with larger, rounder apertures probably wouldn't have had this issue. The offending shell was one with fairly narrow aperture with one long spindly side.

A very timely warning. And one I can add too with a corydoras catfish and a lump of lava rock. The corydoras had grown up being able to swim through the middle of the lava rock, in fact many of the catfish enjoyed this little excursion. However the corydoras in question did not take in to account her growth and expanding girth as she got older. I found her wedged in the hole unable to go forwards or backwards. I quickly grabbed a sledge hammer and carefully held the lava rock on the edge of some concrete while I extra carefully began chipping away at the rock until I could split it in half and free a thankfully undamaged fish.

Wow.

These are good warnings for those who want to have these sort of decor in ther tanks to be sure their fish species cannot get wedged inside any cavity that may prove too small for them.

I like this thread, good to bear in mind.

:good:

This is the type of shell that caused the problem by the way (lightning whelk):

muschelneu082.jpg

The long dorsal fin on the cardinal went into the spindly part of the opening, so it allowed a very tall narrow fish to go quite a ways into the shell. Shells like the ones below (some sort of murex) are the ones my hermits prefer and also seem structurally safer since they're much rounder. Most fish would probably still be able to wiggle their fins easily even with their heads in as far as they can go.

g1-6-pink-murex.jpg

Needless to say I will be staying away from the lightning whelk shells in the future.

A very timely warning. And one I can add too with a corydoras catfish and a lump of lava rock. The corydoras had grown up being able to swim through the middle of the lava rock, in fact many of the catfish enjoyed this little excursion. However the corydoras in question did not take in to account her growth and expanding girth as she got older. I found her wedged in the hole unable to go forwards or backwards. I quickly grabbed a sledge hammer and carefully held the lava rock on the edge of some concrete while I extra carefully began chipping away at the rock until I could split it in half and free a thankfully undamaged fish.

I had an issue similar to this with a ceramic castle ornament many years back. There was a turret that was an open cylinder and I had an adult molly try to swim down it. Unfortunately I didn't notice the problem until it was way too late in that case. I stuffed some sponge down the turret to stop that from happening again.

Good save, I would have been freaking out if this were me. I'd probably be too worried about hurting the fish to get him out.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back