Kuhli Loaches

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bunchbro84

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I just started a 10 gallon a week ago ( don't worry it is cycled) and I have black kuhli loaches that have what look to be rub marks. I was wondering if the scales will come back if it stops rubbing. The gravel is the pebble gravel that is tan you can get at walmart for 4$ for a 5 lb bag

The scales will probably grow back, but you need to watch for infection. Make sure their water stays nice and clean. The main problem is that they will continue to get injuries because they shouldn't be kept on anything but sand! The good news is that a 10g is super fast, easy, and cheap to re-do the substrate :good:

Green Mumma, I have a power filter and can't afford to get sand in the impeller. I don't think that the rubs were from the gravel because it is on his side. He/she has been doing "happy circles" on the side and would brush on a plastic plant which may have caused it. I have already moved the plant out of his circle and none of the other loaches have any marks. So, I think he will be fine now that the plant isn't in his path. The water quality is good also. I may look into getting sand, but not until I am more experienced.

How is the little loach doing??

Hey, I fully understand having to wait to do any upgrades.  My first tank was gravel for a year before I switched to sand, which I was very nervous about. I will say that maintenance and everything else is very easy with sand, much more than gravel. The only time I could think that it would affect your filter is when first adding sand. I left my filters off for a bit until the water cleared up a bit.

Can you have half sand and half gravel???   I have gravel now,  but I love the khulies.   Can I made a section of my tank that is just sand? 

How is your tank cycled already if you set it up a week ago? and kuhli loaches should be kept in at least a 20 gallon breeder, how many loaches do you have?

I actually set it up last night, but I have the old filter in it to introduce the bacteria.   I currently have a 10 gallon with my fish in it, and the new one is a 55.  I have NO loaches.  i'm simply "shopping" for the fish I will someday own.  I will have my water tested this week, as well as getting my own testing kit.  Then I need to move my current fish, and then I need to get the neons my husband is insisting on, all before assertaining if I can even support loaches. 

I'm have learned in a very very short amount of time that everything I've done in the past is "wrong", even if it DID work.   I only lost fish because I totally forgot to buy a heater.  I live in SWLA, and keep my house at 78 in the summer.   Heat is usually not a problem for us!!! 

If loaches like sand, I'd like to add a section for them to play in.  but since I JUST set up this tank, I really don't want to start all over again if I can mix substrates.

Ya'll this post is from October :p Squee I'd make a separate post to ask about khuli loaches, though I'll try to answer what you asked already :)

They're fine for your tank size of 55g, and I -think- a section for sand could work, but that's going to be hard to do as sand will sink through the gravel.
I know you really don't want to switch the substrate since you just set it up, but it is going to be much easier to switch it now rather than later.

If the OP ever comes back and reads this..by power filter do you mean a HOB? If so, I have HOBs on all my tanks..and they're all sand. No issues.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back