Kuhli Loaches, Shrimp and Filters...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jordan_Deus

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I bought about twenty juvenile Neocaridina heteropoda "wild". Today I did my tank maintenance, while cleaning the filter I found about 8 shrimp between 0.5 - 1 cm long. I got them all out and put them into the tank. Seeing as they were all alive and at the bottom of the filter they must have gotten sucked up through the intake. I thought that the little cap like think that came with the filter intake would be enough to keep them out, I was wrong. I am 100% certain they didn't swim through the outtake as they would have had to pass through the impeller. The flow is also to strong for them.

Immediately after finding the shrimp inside the filter I took a piece of course sponge and tied it around the intake, this sponge isn't exactly medium but it's not super course so unless the shrimp are smaller than 1mm, there is no way they're getting through. I assume that if they start breeding I'll have to put a finer sponge on the intake. Seeing as the shrimp are starting to get the slight green color of adults, I will be tying on a finer sponge during next weeks maintenance.

After all this, I did some research on the other fish I intend to keep and found out that Kuhli's have this tendency of swimming up the outtake and getting decapitated by the impeller.

My questions are:
How to I prevent the Kuhli's from committing suicide without significantly reducing flow rates in the tank?
Are there any better ways of keeping shrimp, and all fish, out of the filter?

Thanks,
Jordan

I've never had an issue with my kuhlis going for the filter. I think they'd only do that when they are stressed and don't have enough ground cover. If the output isn't in the water a good half inch or so above then I don't think you should have a problem with loaches going where they shouldn't.

As for the shrimp, sponges are your best bet. I think if you get a nice sponge filter to replace your HOB both the loach and shrimp problem will be solved.

I've never had an issue with my kuhlis going for the filter. I think they'd only do that when they are stressed and don't have enough ground cover. If the output isn't in the water a good half inch or so above then I don't think you should have a problem with loaches going where they shouldn't.

As for the shrimp, sponges are your best bet. I think if you get a nice sponge filter to replace your HOB both the loach and shrimp problem will be solved.

Good to know, the outtake is about 2 inches under the surface of the water. Seeing as I have a canister filter and this is a 60 Gallon aquarium, a sponge filter won't cut it.
The tank has lots of spider wood and plenty of places for the Kuhli's to hide. Tank bottom is 100 x 43 cm so plenty of ground space I think.

Most reactions

trending

Back