Kuhli Loaches are they hardy fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I have black khuli loachs in one of my tanks for quite a few months now, they are not very hardy fish in general and need very good water quality and need their diet substituted with catfish pelets and/or algae wafers. They are mainly nocturnal and need a cave or similar place where they can sleep in peice during the day and prefer heavily planted tanks with sand substrate the most. The minimum tank size for them is 12gallons and they prefer to be in groups of at least 4.

There are a lot of conflicting claims on how hardy Kuhlis are though what's certain is the past year or so has been a bad batch (nearly all of them have died no matter where you live). I lucked out with 5 of them about 10 months ago and still have all 5 but they do like to hide and prefer a very well planted tank (real or fake plants) with somewhere to hide. Mine had a partial cave and drift wood to hide in but seem to prefer fry grass of all things instead. They do come out in the day but are extremely skittish so if you ever plan to watch them, approach the tank slowly and sit patiently. I want to get more but I'm waiting until they're healthy again before risking putting more in my tank.

I have 4, they are great fish that don't get bothered and they don't bother anybody. They survived a ick outbreak and they are doing great.

Kuhlis can be sensitive...especially when you first get them...but they seem to be rather hardy...kinda like otos...the weak ones that are too stressed frombeing shipped to the store etc. seem to die off rapidly and then the ones that are left are pretty tough...I would advise not buying them from your LFS until they have had them in for at least two weeks. That will start them off on a better foot in your aquarium because it will give them time to recover from being shipped. I have 3 right now...I have kept them since I was a kid...they are hilarious! :lol:

I'm assuming the 3 you have now aren't the same from when you were a kid. That'd make the fish as old as me, and I'm 25. :p

Teelie said:
I'm assuming the 3 you have now aren't the same from when you were a kid. That'd make the fish as old as me, and I'm 25. :p
[snapback]846375[/snapback]​

You're funny...no they aren't the same kuhlis...Poor Stripey ( I named him when I was 5) bit the dust (literally...he jumped out of my tank) years ago while I was at summer camp... :rip:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back