krib

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

davexjs

Reaction score
hi all im a newbee . first let me say what a great fish forum site this is. ive obtained loads of info for my first tank.[4ftx1ftx18inch] thanks
my first fish 6 zebra danios great little fish and look very happy
2 kribs 1 very colourfull the other not as bright. the bright one attacks the not so bright one. i thought i had bought a pair [male+femail] but maybe have bought 2 femails?. both tail fins are not spade shaped and dont have spots
will two femails live together or should i take one back to the shop?and maybe get a male? :unsure:
thanks any info will be a big help

if you go pick up say 3-4 more and put them in, you are almost assured a pair. Then as they pair off, take the others back to the store.

We have 2 females together and once the pecking order was established they get along fine. When we had a male with them one of the females would pick on him and chase him away whenever she saw him, so you may have a male & female but the male may still be too immature for the female.

ahhhhh zebras :crazy: well actually im not that anti zebras i just had a bad danio experience as a child... they are very popular fish and hardy too as for the kribs dont wory about two females its two males you wanna wory about.. if you do get a male in there then i donwana be the zebras. sounds like you have a good setup to me id stick with it and maybee get a catfish of some kind tho id look inot that with a fine tooth comb or a nice alge eater or something be shure and look up what ever else you want to go in there. i like to look at other peoples experiences as i find that often the descriptions i get for some "comunity fish" are not allways as comunity as is said.

edit : oh yea and welcome to the forum :D

if you go pick up say 3-4 more and put them in, you are almost assured a pair. Then as they pair off, take the others back to the store.

With all due respect, I would use some caution with this approach, due to the fact that an entire brood of krib fry can end up all one sex or all the other -- it is influenced strongly by the water pH they are born and raised in. One lfs, for instance, had a whole tank of kribs that were all males. Many were developing beautiful finnage, but not one had a colored belly.

Your lfs could have had all females, but I kind of doubt it because you say that at least one of yours is very colorful. I assume you mean the pink/red/plum colored belly. I have two kribs, one I am certain is a male, and one I believe to be a still slightly immature female. They are not currently "housed" in the same tank, and neither of them are the slightest bit colorful in their abdominal region. And yet, at the lfs where I bought the female, there were at least two fairly mature and aggressive males in what I call "breeding color", meaning that I think it likely were females in the tank with them due to their coloring, but I believe the females were as yet too immature to show their colors or respond to the males, so there were no pairs.

My other problem with the "buy a bunch and let them grow" approach, which I've read in several other places on the web, is that I don't necessarily want a bunch of kribs, especially not males, so then what do I do?
Not all stores are friendly about taking fish back. I know that the one where I bought my male really frowns on it, and where I bought my female, they have a 3-day return policy.

So, if your fish is colorful, that may be your female and as Pufferpack suggested, your male may be less mature. Or perhaps it is a less developed female and not a male, but time will tell.

Depending on your situation, you can either:

1) buy a few more and see what happens, or
2) wait a while and see what happens, or
3) take one back and look for one with an elongated dorsal fin that has a spot at the end of it, more of a spade shaped tail, and a less pronounced abdomen. See photo of my male here

HTH.

an entire brood of krib fry can end up all one sex or all the other

I have never encountered this. Do you think that maybe the lfs purchased all males because they have more color and this would appeal to customers more? Just a thought.

At any rate, he could go to 2 or 3 different stores and pick one up at each store if this were the case. The odds of 3 stores having all males is very slim. Of course you do need a lfs that will purchase fish back, this is definately something to check into before you go this route.

Do you think that maybe the lfs purchased all males because they have more color and this would appeal to customers more?
I have done some pretty extensive reading on kribs because I'd like to have mine breed, and nearly every place I have read about kribs breeding it has talked about the pH problem. Close to neutral, the fish come out pretty even, but alkaline or acid yields all (or most) of one or the other.

I know that the lfs in question has harder water, like I do (7.6), and the kribs in question were undoubtedly a batch from a local fishkeeper or some that they bred themselves, because I've never known them to order such large quantities of one type of fish. From what I have read, these fry are not necessarily born one sex or the other -- it seems to be "decided" at least in part by the pH of the water, as crazy as that sounds!

Also, it is my understanding that the female krib is the more colorful one, once she has reached her adulthood. I believe that her abdomen is pink or purple regardless of tankmates, but that they both get much more colorful when breeding.

he could go to 2 or 3 different stores

Yes, if all of his stores stock them. I had a little trouble finding them in my area. After I found my male it was many weeks before I found a female. that is why they are at different stages of maturity.

At any rate, davexjs, we've all given you our best advice. Let us know how it all plays out! Glad you are finding the forums useful, it is a great place to hang out if you like keeping fish! :D

Close to neutral, the fish come out pretty even, but alkaline or acid yields all (or most) of one or the other.

Learn something new everyday!!!! Tnx for the info Alia :nod:

:D hi all again
thank you all very much for your replys im hanging in with my two kribs[colourfull not so colourfull] reading what you said i think that the not so coulourfull krib could be a young male and has not matured enought for the female and she chases him off.ive read that male kribs tend to be a little larger than female kribs so when he matures it could be pay back time i will keep you posted as what happens
thanks dave

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back