Kissing angels?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
First off I have no idea what gender my two angels are that are doing this, I'm a little concerned if its fighting but I'm not sure as it doesn't seem aggressive. The oldest koi is "kissing" or at this point nose bumping the gold one, only to have him/her swim away then swim beside then swim away. There are no torn fins, missing scales, signs of wounds, or aggression (unless the kissing is aggression). I tried to record the behavior but they stop immediately when I come close to beg for food.

It is possible they are a pair and are just establishing their bond, the pushing with their mouth is testing the strength of a potential mate, my pair do this at times. I have yet to keep same sex angels together so not sure if this is done any other times but wouldn't say it's fighting, most of the time they are just establishing dominance and as long as one backs down all should be well, how many angels do you have?

Mine do this too, but it doesn't seem aggressive, more of a 'love peck'. Years ago I had a couple of brothers that would face off and spar a bit. The one would twitch and lunge at the other and the other would chase him off- competing for tank boss I think, but neither ever did any real harm to the other - kinda like a shoulder punch to see who's the 'baddest' fish in the pond! lol

It is possible they are a pair and are just establishing their bond, the pushing with their mouth is testing the strength of a potential mate, my pair do this at times. I have yet to keep same sex angels together so not sure if this is done any other times but wouldn't say it's fighting, most of the time they are just establishing dominance and as long as one backs down all should be well, how many angels do you have?
Currently just these two as my other passed away some time ago. They all lived well together because they've been schooling since they were very young. These two currently occupy the to uper levels of the tank adnd share space with a shoal of corydora and one fiesty BN pleco. They were doing it once more today but lost interest once feeding time came. It's still not aggressive, this time they sorted just locked lips and floated a bit before moving off. No tugging or anything like that.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back