Kill vs. No Kill Shelters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishGirl

Reaction score
Im just kind of curious to see how everyone feels about shelters that euthanize vs. those that dont.

i volunteer with a no kill shelter. but i have nothign against shelters that euthanize, such as city or county pounds. they do it becasue they don't have the funding to keep animals for exteneded periods. its not the shelters fault, its the fault of irresponsible pet owners who dont' spay or neuter their pets, who dont' research and animal before purchase, who assume all puppies and kitties will stay small, will come potty and litter box trained, won't chew, scratch or ahve accidents, will be obedience trained the day they bring it home, etc. its because people get a dog or cat, then decide to stop caring for it. they dump them off somewhere, they don't take measures to ensure the dog or cat stays confined to the home or yard.

and dont' tell me that some people drop their dogs and cats at shelters becasue they can't afford to keep it or because they developed allergies or they are forced to move somewhere they can't keep dogs (my group is baffled howits possible to not find a place that WILL allow them to continue having pets buts that another rant). this is bull. if you find you can't keep your pet, don't dump it off at a shelter, find it a home. place an ad. people will willingly take a free pet. do all you can.

people are always asking what to do with an unwanted pet. someone will say "take it to a shelter or the pound". then i tell them that most animals turned into the pound by an owner, if space is limited at that time, won't even be given a chance to go up for adoption but go right to the kill list (their only chance being a rescue group comign along). strays are given usually 48-72 hours to be claimed. some will get a chance to go up for adoption if they haave a great personality and "show" well, but shy, fearful ones, due to space limitations, will quite often go right to the kill list. my group (see the link in my sig), see this every week. here in maricopa county, arizona, 100s of cats and dogs are euthanized every week. that a alot of dogs and cats not given a second chance at life. keep that in mind next time the little furball you bring home isn't quite living up to your expections and you consider dumping it off at the pound. again, i'm not saying its the pounds fault, they do what they have to do, what their state funding allows them to do. its up to society, and pet owners to make a change in how we treat dogs and cats, in how we view them as living creatures.

phewwwww. okay, i'm done now

I agree with MAM, there are way too many people out there who just want a cute fuzzy little playtoy, and when they grow up or something else goes wrong, well then, now its the animal's problem because the owners don't want them anymore.
I would like to see more no-kill shelters cuz i believe that every animal deserves a second chance (remember its people who made them the way they are) but unfortunately as MAM also said there just isn't enough money to run them all.
But i'll say this, the next time anyone wants a new pet go to a shelter, whether it be kill or no-kill first. There are dozens upon dozens of deserving animals there who are just waiting for someone to love them.

i work at a humane society and although we arent a no kill, we're low kill. We try not to put animals down, however if they are a threat and it is unsafe to place them, then there is no other choice. In a way leaving them in a cage for the rest of their life could be considered cruel. And yes space is limited. I know in the city, strays get a day or 2 to be claimed but since we usually arent over run strays get 5 days for the owner to claim them, then go up for adoption to the public.

and dont' tell me that some people drop their dogs and cats at shelters becasue they can't afford to keep it or because they developed allergies or they are forced to move somewhere they can't keep dogs (my group is baffled howits possible to not find a place that WILL allow them to continue having pets buts that another rant). this is bull.

MAM, im 100% with you on that. its amazing what kind of excuses people will make up.

obviously we tend to be more humane here in the UK with needy animals. Most animal shelters will never destroy an animal which is healthy or could be rehomed, even if it takes some work to get it there.

if you offer your pet for free, what sort of home would it be going to then? Its future is no more secure than at the shelter.

wanna hear a really bad excuse someone gave for turnig their dog into the pound once? it didn't match their furnature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can you believe that!!!!!!!!!

and well said billy and pandora.

MAM are you serious?! i would have slapped them. i havent heard anything as wild as that. the usual one is that they are moving and cant take it and when we ask why they cant find it a home before they move they all say "Oh we are moving today we dont have time"

how do you know these people dont have an embarrasing reason for turning their loved pets away and do not want to admit it? perhaps they cant afford them? that isnt something most people would like to admit.

plecoperson said:
how do you know these people dont have an embarrasing reason for turning their loved pets away and do not want to admit it? perhaps they cant afford them? that isnt something most people would like to admit.
yes, but there are other options, such as giving it to a friend or neighbor, or a willing home that they deem a good home. its not hard to find a new home for your pet. you just have to put forth the care and the effort.

true, but again you cant tar everyone with the same brush. for some, the shelter could be the absolute last resort.

and they offer the centre as a rescue for unwanted dogs and cats and then are surprised when animals start coming in? -_-

MAM said:
wanna hear a really bad excuse someone gave for turnig their dog into the pound once? it didn't match their furnature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can you believe that!!!!!!!!!

and well said billy and pandora.
well its definately a good thing that they gave the animal up. theres no way they could have known enough to actually care for the dog.

mam-do you work at best friends?
i have always wanted to visit there. i am a member and it looks like heaven for the animals there. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back