Keeping Kribensis Taeniatus with Celestial Pearl Danios

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kindoxinda

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I work at a fish store and am currently designing my new 100l tank, which has yet to arrive, but I am thinking about livestock options.

Initially I was going to keep Celestial Pearl Danios (CPD's) with a pair of Apistogrammas but my manager ordered in this absolutely STUNNING pair of Kribensis Taeniatus Lobe. The issue that I am having is that, although I have been told that CPD's are often kept with Apistogrammas with out any issues, I haven't been able to find any body with experience keeping CPD's with Kribensis. I am worried that due to their small size they'll just get eaten as soon as the male starts to become aggressive during breeding.

I would appreciate anybody's advice who has actually kept these two species together. If you have not actually had experience keeping these together please refrain from leaving general comments about compatibility because, as I mentioned I work in a fish store and am well aware of most general rules concerning fish.

If anybody does have experience keeping these I would love to hear from you!

Welcome to TFF!

I got no hands-on experience with that very combination. But, as you noted yourself it is quite a mismatch concerning size and aggressivity. If you want happy CPD, I would not try this. Also the combination with Apistogramma I don't consider ideal.

Last edited:
My mum used to breed kribs, and I've kept dwarf emerald danios, which are a close relation of the CPD and I would not put them together. The kribs will be far too big and boisterous for the CPD, even if they don't eat them.

CPD are very, very shy fish, and need to be in a very large group, in a well planted tank, with no large or aggressive fish if they're to do well. Things like guppies, Endlers, threadfin rainbows or shrimps make good tankmates for CPD.

I also agree with hobby; combining apistos with CPD is far from ideal. Apistogrammas need soft water, for a start, whilst CPD come from Lake Inle, which, being in a karstic region, has very, very hard water. I don't know who made that suggestion to you, but I'd take all their advice with a pinch of salt from now on!

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Agree. Celestichthys margaritatus is best on its own, in a group of 20 or so, or with small tankmates like Boraras species.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back