Juwel Rekord 60 - Is This Filter Working Correctly?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Athena

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi - my latest aquarium is a Juwel Rekord 60 - one that came with everything (sponge filter+media, heater, lights) and I was told that it was a soft-flow filter.

I've noticed something about the way the filter seems to be working and I'm not sure if this is how it is supposed to be or if it is faulty. I'll try to explain what's happening...

It seems to run quietly for about 10 seconds then you can hear a sudden surge of water whooshing out at a fast speed through the water outlet for a few seconds, then it runs quietly again - and this is how it goes all the time, slow then fast, slow then fast. The sound of it is quite annoying after a while.

Is this how it is supposed to operate? If not, any ideas what might be causing it to do this?

Thanks - Athena

Is it a new or second hand tank/filter?

I found with my juwel tank when I bought it second hand, needed a new pump, mine would intermittantly stop, then start again, creating what your describing, everytime I switched the filter off for a water change, it took ages to get it going again.

If its a new one, then speak to the shop you got it from, it will be under warrantly. If its second hand, then you can find spares easily enough.

Hi - yes, it is a new tank. When I first set it up the pump wouldn't work (at first I thought it was extra-quiet!!! Until I realised that there was no water movement and no water coming out of the outlet hose LOL) and so I took the pump back to the shop and someone tested it - said it wasn't working so checked the fuse in plug - that was ok - so they took the front of the pump off and turned it on - the little thing inside that spins round when it's turned on (is it called a fan?) wasn't moving at all until the chap gave it a little nudge with his finger and it started whirring round.

So, I reckon that there is a design/manufacturing fault or whatever with that pump, seeing as you've had similar problems with yours.

Ok, so I think it's worth mentioning all this to my LFS (where I bought it). Just didn't want to start complaining to them again if there was nothing actually wrong with it and that's how it was supposed to function.

Thanks again - Athena

The filter from the Rekord 60 is an absolute nightmare... pretty useless in honesty, i've had Rekord 60, 70, 96 and 120 and the 60 is an appalling setup.

If you want to save the hassle (and i wouldn't normally suggest this for juwel tanks as I like the normal filters) i'd cut out the internal filter, get rid of it and buy a decent priced internal filter that sticks on the side.

Thanks for the input, Rossyboy - interesting to find this out, especially as I was told that this Juwel aquarium/filter was a really good quality (but then I guess they would say that to sell it!).

Ah well - thought I was saving money by buying an all-in-one tank but looks like it's going to end up costing me more. I have another all-in-one tank, a different brand - and although the filter and heater on that are superb so far, I don't like the lighting. So I guess it's best to just buy all the things separately and then you get exactly what you want.

You live and learn, as they say... I always seem to learn the hard way though :(

Thanks for the input, Rossyboy - interesting to find this out, especially as I was told that this Juwel aquarium/filter was a really good quality (but then I guess they would say that to sell it!).

Ah well - thought I was saving money by buying an all-in-one tank but looks like it's going to end up costing me more. I have another all-in-one tank, a different brand - and although the filter and heater on that are superb so far, I don't like the lighting. So I guess it's best to just buy all the things separately and then you get exactly what you want.

You live and learn, as they say... I always seem to learn the hard way though :(

I wouldn't be too disheartened to be honest!

It's just the Juwel 60 out of the Rekords that annoys me, as the filter is a 'mini' version of the standard juwel ones. The normal fitted filters in the 70, 96, 120 are superb in my opinion and excellent value for money.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back