Juwel Light Or Bulb Juwel Rio125

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

justin4real

Reaction score
Hello all

This is a quick question as I've gotten a choice to make new bulb or new light system ?

Here's a link to a video of what I see.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJooTPWg820&feature=plcp

If you could let me know if its the bulb or the unit it would help, seconded unit I've had in three years.

It is dark at the one end on the warm light bulb. Wish I kept old bulbs invade of this. To check

Hello,

Good idea to show a video.... I'd guess that your tubes are at EOL (end of life). An indication is the black rings at the tube ends.. This is caused by deposition of metal from the tube heaters/filaments over time onto the tube walls (filament evaporation... possibly even sputtering in extreme cases).

This will continue until one of the filaments fails (in much the same way as an incandescent bulb).
As the tube ages, the operating characteristics change.. The ballast (control box) attempts to keep everything stable.. If you have an electronic ballast, then most designs will switch off when a failing tube is detected.

A magnetic ballast (these use a starter) will continue to try and ignite the tube... If the tube is failing then increased power is dissipated at the tube ends.. This can actually melt the tube glass and even damage the tube sockets.. The ballast can even be destroyed (physically burnt out due to excessive drive currents).

I suggest that you first try known good tubes (change both tubes) before you look further.. If it does turn out that the ballast is failing then it would be far cheaper to replace this than to buy a new lighting unit. If you do want any help with this then just post here. 

The biggest killer of magnetic ballasts is failing tubes.. the biggest killer of electronic ballasts (in an aquarium) is moisture inside the ballast housing. Any increased humidity here can allow short circuits in the electronics (high voltage + water = bang!)... with failure almost certainly guaranteed.

Any questions... just post here..

Bodge99.

I'd say the left tube has gone but the right hand one, although has those black rings, looks like its not quite there yet. I don't have any experience of Juwel lighting though so don't know if this is common if one tube has gone. It could be a problem with the starter motor.

I'd replace one of the tubes first to make sure that the lighting unit is fine and then do the second.

That's my idea s I ordered the bulb early this morning as I've got about 35 plants in tank that will need the lighting to be working a.s.a.p also the tank will look better then total darkness.

Just hope it's the bulb not the unit but can not hear water inside like other one did. Got this unit 07/2010 so this one lasting more then original one has.

Cheers for a few words. Was going to buy complete unit. But not paying out £75.00 for other bulb type unit.

Hello,

I do realise that most people just change one tube at a time (for cost reasons..)... I've done just this myself.

Please be aware that most ballast manufacturers recommend that all tubes driven off of a ballast are changed at the same time.

There are actually sound reasons for doing just this... It all boils down to the exact design of an electronic ballast and how tolerant the design is regarding driving tubes of different operating characteristics. A new tube can differ quite markedly from one approaching EOL.

A decent design will cope O.K. A cheap, arguably underspecified one will result in reduced ballast life. The biggest ballast manufacturers don't necessarily have the best, most robust designs.

Your choice, of course..

Bodge99

This is to test the unit first as they are expensive as a unit to buy but if it is the bulb ill get the other replaced. I am now buying two bulbs an it be the unit again. I understand changing all the bulbs. If its the bulbs an not the unit.

Hello,

FYI, A typical twin tube electronic ballast is around £20 on Ebay.. A good deal cheaper than a complete lighting unit.

Hope it's just the tubes!

Bodge99.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back