Juwel 3D Backgrounds

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Athena

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi - having just bought another tank I thought I would like to try a 3d textured/structured background (internal) and have seen some made by Juwel. They have some lovely structured dark rock backgrounds but they are a bit expensive for my budget (cheapest I've seen is £26 for a 600mm and I would need two of those). They also do a cheaper background which is made of styrofoam I think and I've seen those for about £12-15 each for a 600mm tile (again I need two). I quite like the look of the black background as I have pale pink convicts.

So, I'm really just looking for any thoughts based on your own experience of either of these types of background. If anyone has any of these in their aquarium and could post a pic for me to see how they look, that would be great. I just don't want to make a mistake and get the cheaper background if it doesn't look nice once installed. Or if anyone has had any problems with either background that would also be helpful to know.

Or do you know of any other similar backgrounds that aren't too expensive? I've already had a Juwel "life-like" poster background on one of my tanks but I wanted something a bit more realisic on this tank.

I don't have the time or patience to try making my own LOL! :)

Thanks - Athena

I used one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROCK-FACE-DESIGN-INTERNAL-AQUARIUM-BACKGROUND-24-X-18-/160557938994?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item2561ffb932

and one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MANGROVE-ROOTS-DESIGN-INTERNAL-AQUARIUM-BACKING-24-X-18-/160557939687?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item2561ffbbe7

as I didn't want it to look to 'samey' all the way along.

It's still quite pricey, but it looks really, really good; I'm very happy with it.

Pic:

IMG_0411-1.jpg

Sorry the pic's not that great :/

It does need siliconing in, as it's quite light, but I only used a bean-sized blob on each corner. It was very easy to cut to size as well, I used just a normal handsaw.

Wooo I like that!! Very nice set up!

I can't actually access ebay from this computer at work so I can't check the link you added - but I will have a look from home thanks.

Athena

I've used it in my last 2 tanks and I think it's great even if it is horrendously over-priced

The black one is called terra (I think) I had 1 tile and stripped it right down for a small tank, the good thing about the black tiles are they are much thinner than the other ones, taking up less space in the tank :good:

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought about depth of the background tiles. I think I will have to investigate a bit more online to find proper dimensions before I buy any.

Getting excited now - have all these ideas in my head so can't wait to get cracking on it!

Thanks again! Athena

U P D A T E

I opted for the Juwel Stone Granite background in the end. I think the dark colour will help to show off my SB pink convicts really well. Found some for a good price so placed my order today. :nod:

Thanks to those who commented.

Regards, Athena

Hi Athena,

I too am keen to get a 3D background for my newly purchased 180L jewel vision. Do u mind me asking where u purchased your background from as u say u had a good deal.
Also, any chance u could post a pic of ur tank with the new background? I bet it looks fab!!!
I was thinking of getting black substrate n dark background as I have lemon tetras, (so far- in my 60L) and thought this would show them off a treat.

Look forward to hearing from you or anyone who can offer some good aquascaping advice...

Many thanks in advance peeps!!!

Vanessa :)

I too have a Juwel Vision 180, sand substrate and am looking at the 3D backgrounds. I don't like the black one but am considering the rock or the stone ones.

The cheapest places i've found is Ebay and Zooplus, so far.

Could be a slight problem, the water is already in the tank!! urm...

I've decided on 'stone' background in 'clay'.

Just wondering, once this is attached and the tank is in use, how do you keep it clean? :blink:

I got the Rock 450 today , but took out the Juwel filter from my vision 180 and the 2 rock pieces fitted perfectly, which saved me from a bit of sawing! (I got an Aquaone1050 external instead.) I'm hoping a bit of algae will make it look a bit more realistic, but it might need a bit of a clean every once in a while to keep it in check.

It looks pretty good! Just gotta wait 24 hrs for the silicone to dry before I can start aquascaping....soooo excited I can't wait! Got a lovely piece of bogwood soaking too which will be above centre piece.

Will post a pic once I get chance...

Let me know how u get on with your background ...

Just wondering, once this is attached and the tank is in use, how do you keep it clean? :blink:

Just wipe it over with a washing up sponge (do make sure it's not impregnated with soap! The cheapest ones you can get are normally ok) or a bit of filter floss.

I got the Rock 450 today , but took out the Juwel filter from my vision 180 and the 2 rock pieces fitted perfectly, which saved me from a bit of sawing! (I got an Aquaone1050 external instead.) I'm hoping a bit of algae will make it look a bit more realistic, but it might need a bit of a clean every once in a while to keep it in check.

It looks pretty good! Just gotta wait 24 hrs for the silicone to dry before I can start aquascaping....soooo excited I can't wait! Got a lovely piece of bogwood soaking too which will be above centre piece.

I will post pics when i've got it :)

Good luck with yours too.

planted tank 2.5.11.jpg

I will post pics when i've got it :)

Good luck with yours too.

As promised Mishka83, heres a pic of my tank, taken today. I want to get a couple more tall plants for the back...any suggestions anyone as to which??

Nice tank! Vallis is normally pretty reliable (though my mum can't grow it for some strange reason). The giant stuff will sprawl over the surface and give your fish some cover, or the spiral (you need to make sure it's Vallisneria torta not V. spiralis) looks impressive.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back