Just Need Help With Sponge Filters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

damanax

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I haven't been here in ages so hello again everyone.

I have kinda left on of my 65l tanks on it's own for a while. Maintained it but was never into it that much as I thought I'd be leaving town but that's not happening anymore so I'm looking to change it up a bit.

It currently is cycled, planted and has a few White Clouds in it but I never really got too fond of them. I'm looking at removing the WC and adding a male betta as my boy, Depp, died a few months ago.

I'm just wondering, what kind of sponge filters there are. I'm not really into DIY so if someone could point me to a place that sells decent ones I'd appreciate it.

The tank is 60cm long and I dunno the rest of the measurements.

I'm having algae issues at the moment because of the light I've currently got and I'll be replacing that when I can too 
fish.gif

I don't know what it is about bettas that gets me back into fishkeeping 
innocent.gif

Hi, not sure how much help I can be but I have used sponge filters with all my fry (cories and cichlids) I have two - one smaller than the other which are both made by JAD. They run off an air pump. The sponge part comes off the plastic housing making it easy to clean and also to put it into another filter to seed it for bacteria.

They are readily available on the internet and in good fish store and are very cheap. I got mine from Amazon

Hope that's a little bit helpful 

So they just attach to a basic air pump? That sounds easy enough, I thought it might be a bit more complicated than that.

I'll take a look for those ones you mentioned. Thanks :)

yeah, just get an air pump (if you've not got one already) some airline tubing and plug it in. They come in different sizes so look for one for your tank size and away you go .... once you've cycled it that is :)

I like sponge filters, as I have planted tanks and these are ideal in smaller set-ups.  My favourite brand is the Hagen Elite, which comes in a single-sponge and a dual-sponge version.  I use a single in my 10g, and have the dual in my 20g and 29g.  Here's a photo showing both, in and out of the packaging.  The air line goes out of the tank to the air pump.  You can adjust the sponges.

There is also the Hydro sponge filter, said to be a very good one.  I have one of these for my hospital tank.  My only complaint is that they are larger in diameter and take up much more room.  I prefer the Elite in permanent tanks because you can attach them to the rear corner, aim the flow down the tank, and adjust the sponges to be horizontal or vertical (with the dual, the single just adjusts horizontally).

Should just mention that if you are intending just the one tank, it pays to have a dual valve for the airline.  Air pumps should run at full capacity, but this may be way more than you want, so the valve allows you to have one line run to the sponge filter, and a second line with just an old airstone at the end can work as a bleeder.

Byron.

Attachments

• Hagen Elite sponge filters.jpg
    Hagen Elite sponge filters.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 183
  • Hydro Sponge Filter.jpg
    Hydro Sponge Filter.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 168
the one in the picture on the right looks the same as the JAD one's I've used. 

I forgot to say (which is why I came back) you can get a valve for the airline tubing to control how much air goes through ... you can also get double valves so you can run more than one sponge filter off the one pump

EDIT: and I've just read Byron's full post and realised he's told you about them already ...oops 
blush.png
  I see he's not mentioned the non-return valve though (I think that's what they are called) This is a great piece of kit... I'll explain.

If you leave the sponge filter in a full tank and switch off the pump for maintenance the sponge can act as a syphon and so if you happen to knock the pipe you get an empty tank and a very wet floor. There is a special valve that you add to the tubing that stops this from happening. They cost a few pence but are well worth it. Too many times I've found myself in this situation and it's no fun

this is the non-return valve 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Non-Return-Check-Valve-Airline/dp/B002SQM1W4/ref=sr_1_24?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1423517689&sr=1-24&keywords=aquarium+n

And this is the other valve that helps to adjust the flow

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elite-Ultra-Plastic-2-Way-Ganged/dp/B0002AQIAY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1423517872&sr=1-1&keywords=aquarium+g

Hopefully that's helped a bit more :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Akasha.  I just realized that the Elite come with one of those non-return valves built in; I've never even thought of that, but after clicking your link I see they are.  If you enlarge the photo of the Elite filters I posted, you can see the valve at the end of the airline going to the pump.  I've often wondered what they were for, now I know.  Learned something else today.
thanks.gif

yahoo.gif

Does anyone have any experience with other double sponge filters? Hagan is looking hard to find :/

Ooo just bought one. Just need to get the air pump and then it'll be good.

Then need to replace the light 
innocent.gif

excellant - glad you've managed to get one :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back