Just got a brand new light it's not working?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SamDerbyshire

Reaction score
I bought the aquarium last week but the person told me the t8 tube didn't work and I would have to replace, so I did but it just won't light up
d648f56f663ef6dccebb985872f634e3.jpg

f115b18008bd8812214ffc3fe64e8c13.jpg
948b5fffd5e4ac94bdfa13ca46fe0b7a.jpg
e860b17d4097cac5c4fe81177fdaae51.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

Looking at the last photo it is my opinion that light is not safe to use. It will need to be re wired by a qualified electrician . It may be cheaper to buy a new light.

Last edited:
If you're handy with repair things, you can buy a "shop light" in a home improvement or hardware store, one that will fit inside the housing of this light. Then remove all the bits from the housing and fasten the shop light with a couple of screws. This will be much, much less expensive that getting the light repaired.

Judging by the corrosion and the black soot marks on wiring on that last picture, really is not worth using or tampering with, much safer to replace that part at very least and as NickAu says, can be dangerous if you don't know much about this sort of thing.

Either replace the entire light fitting or you could do as Byron says, remove all the gubbins from in the light unit and buy some cheap hardware light fitting that will fit inside that, not particularly difficult to find or to do, just get as close to the same sort of hardware as what is on the light unit already and replace like for like.

Just depends on how you feel about either method being easiest and fits your budget.

Quailified electronic engineer or electrican will not do the job for you for free (unless you know of a mate who might do it for you), likely to charge £50 per hour at least or they may simply refuse to do the job as not worth it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back