Just bought some plants

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jpmcca01

Reaction score
I just bought some Anacharis for my 30gal. Only problem is that everyone keeps saying at LEAST 1 watt/gal for most plants and Anarcharis are med/high light lvl plants. But my hood on my tank only has one light slot and my current light is a 24in, 20w bulb, I think its 6500k. Well I went to the pet store and they only carry 24in 20w bulbs, but they have bulbs that are 18000k.

My tank is only 12inch tall, so would this 20w 18000k do the trick, or will my current bulb be ok for it? I would like to try and avoid buying a new light setup for this tank. (My next major investment is going to be a 72gal bow front)

Thanks for any help/advice given. :D

Hi jpmcca01, the 6500k is better than the 18000k for plant growth. However you don,t have enough light, even 1 watt per gallon is not enough. Ideally you should have at least 2-3 watts per gallon for good plant growth. Another way to supplement lighting is to use a screw in compact fluro (5000k 15-25 watt) in a standard lamp (lamp on a stand). You can buy them from ikea (I think you guys have ikea yeh?). Then you can move the stand around and place it near the plants that need the most light. When your plants have grown enough you can use the lamp for something else.

Sounds like I will try that, I have a small extra portable light that is 15w. I think I will try like you said and add that to my existing lights. Just have to figure the best way to mount it without the hood blocking it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back