just about everything diy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SeanTrollope

Fish Addict
Reaction score
so i wanted to share with all who are interested that just about most of my main setup as well as my others are diy as i want things done my way and it is a lot cheaper. on my mail setup the only thing that is not home made is the tank and a few plastic plants. i have recently put a 5 liter filter on it that im waiting to see the results of. could you guys please share your thoughts and opinions and give advise. i would love to know what you all think. please note i am still working on covering the filter up and i have a small algae problem.

also is it safe to use a glue gun in a fish tank?
curved glasss 1.jpg

I wouldn't recommend a 'glue gun'. Instead, using 'Super glue' will work, as would aquarium safe silicone.

i have tried the silicon but it does not keep its seal on the plastic and pipes for very long.

the glue sticks that i would be the ones that are like plastic and then the gun melts it essentially(not really glue) once it cools it hardens back into plastic.

As fluttermoth suggested, test them with something live like daphnia first to see if it's safe. Make sure you also clean them very well with conditioned water, not hot water. Best of luck to you, it it works out, let us know! It'd be nice to be able to create aquascapes from inexpensive fake plants!

could i do a similar test to check if it will work.

i think it would be safe as long as its says nontoxic on it. i use a glue gun to make things for my hamster and no problems yet

Be ware of that as a cardinal rule. Generally, those labels are designed for HUMAN toxicity. Plenty of 'non-toxic' things for humans are toxic to fish.

Be ware of that as a cardinal rule. Generally, those labels are designed for HUMAN toxicity. Plenty of 'non-toxic' things for humans are toxic to fish.
yeah, im not saying that it is. just saying that it might be

okay well ill start the test and see what happens. ill let you guys know in week or two.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back