Just A Quick Question - Desperate For Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LadySamsara

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
About 1 1/2 months ago I tried the fishless cycle.  I was not successful and since I am going on vacation soon, I turned everything off and the water is still sitting in the tank.  I have the link here explaining the cycle and I will try again when I return from vacation.  Do I have to remove the water, or can I use the same water that is in the tank?  Do I have to clean out the filter at all?  I will be resuming the cycle in the middle of December.  Any help would be so very appreciated - Thank you! 

Yes- change all the water and clean the filter media in dechlorinated water. When you reset the tank, it helps to let if run overnight if you are using a dechlorinator which also contains an ammonia detoxifier. Most of the more popular ones do.

Thank you so much for your help, it is most appreciated.  I also had a bubble stone going, I read in one of the fishless cycling that lots of oxygen helps the cycling.  I just hope I do it right this time!

Thank you.

LS- follow the directions in the cycling article here. If you  get stuck or are uncertain you can post on the forum or you can shoot me a PM and I will be happy to help.

Fish Herder - I do appreciate you taking the time to offer your help, thank you.  The closest place (Petsmart) for me to get a new gravel cleaner is about 20 miles away - I'll be going Friday and I'll remove the water on Fri. or Sat.  Do you know if it's allright if I keep everything in place (ornaments, silk plants, etc.?) I don't think I am going to be able to get all of the water out and I don't want scum building up on everything.  In any event, I guess once I get all the water moving again it should be fine, especially since there will be no fish for 4-6 weeks.  Thank you again - your help is appreciated!

Most reactions

trending

Back