jumpstarting

semper fi

mrs southeast michigan 2005
Reaction score
has anyone ever used ammonia to jumpstart their tanks? just tried this and it was great. took about 10 days to get the tank up and running with fish.

maggie

:) Not used it. Normally called the "Fishless Cycle" and very successful it is too according to it's users. :thumbs: Mac.

Never have a problem "jump starting" a tank. With 130+ tanks I always have a spare sponge filter or two for that purpose.

I do hear that the "fishless cycle" works well though.

it worked great. had someone who just got the fish bug and ran out and got the entire set up brand new. terrible thing to have money to burn! ;) when i told them it would take about 6 weeks to cycle his wife groaned. so told them we could try this. worked great and the fish are swimming around with big smiles!

maggie

Urban legend???? I have heard of people urinating in their marine tanks to start the cycle. Even though it sounded a little perverse, I didn't go that route... :)

I've jump started with ammonia - worked a treat, just have to remember to do a major water change before you put fish in. When I told my lfs owner about it, he said that it's dangerous for the fish. I told him he was talking rubbish, showed him a printout about it and from then on we've been the best of friends. :rolleyes:

that is how i did the jumpstart, with ammonia. was ghoing to do it with my old tank water, but had just done a water change and did not want to crash mine. usually do about 50-55% changes once a week.

maggie

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back