Jewie Corey Lying On Side

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fish_4_life

Reaction score
Hi All

I've just got back from a 5 day holiday and noticed that my Corey was lying on his side still as a statue, I thought he was dead so went to scoop him out and he swam off like nothing had happened, that was two days ago since then he keeps lying on his side not moving until you move something near him and he shoots off again, It seems like his stomach is looking bloated. Any ideas what it could be the rest of my Corey's are doing fine.

Dan

Sorry you haven't had a reply yet, Dan.

How big is your tank and is it cycled? Exactly what fish do you have? Have you tested the water and/or done a large water change?

Did you add anything to the tank (feeding block?) or have anyone looking after the tank while you were away?

Hi,

No worries about reply, I had a 7 day feeder block in there, did a water change day I went and then another day I got back was only gone for 5 days. The cory in question does have a bloated stomach compared to the other cory but is the smallest out of them all. 

Dan

Just an Update....

Unfortunately the Cory died last night! :( He was separated from the rest of the tank but when I found him this morning he had a small hole in his side, Does anyone know what could of caused this?

Dan

There could be multiple reasons, including normal decomposition, which can happen very fast in tropical tank temperatures.

Have you had your water tested (or, even better tested it yourself? And done a large water change?

Those holiday blocks should not be used; they can foul the water very badly at the very worst time (ie, when you're not there do deal with it). Fish are perfectly alright going without food for two weeks, so if you can't get someone to come and feed them for you (and that's risky in itself, as most people drastically overfeed, again leading to poor water quality) they're best left.

Yeah I test my water every two weeks myself, always fine, I didn't realise that the feeders were bad otherwise I wouldn't of used them, Well I wont any more at least!
Yeah I did a water change this morning as he had died sometime in the night so would of been rotting for a few hours hopefully there wont be any other issues from this. on a side note as I've heard numerous verdicts on this but is feeding the fish once a night too much?

No, I feed my fish once a day; they also (usually 
blush.png
) have a 'fast day' once a week, where they don't get fed at all. Just make sure you're not overfeeding.

Can I ask how big your tank is, and what fish you have in it? Just to rule out any other potential problems or issues that might arise.

I might try a fasting day as well, Yeah no problem my tank is 88 litre, I have a fluval 306 external filter running it, I have a 9 corys, 5 male guppys, 2 harliquins, 3 glass catfish, a rubber nose plec, a twig and 2 tetras.

Ok; your tank is pretty heavily stocked, so make sure you keep up with maintenance and keep an eye on your water quality as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back