Jewel Vision 450 Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shakespeare

Reaction score
After a lot of thought, I've decided to purchase the largest aquarium possible so I don't have to upgrade again - my fish will also love the space. The only tank that I can find is the Jewel Vision 450 litre (I don't like the new Fluval tanks as they are all in one steel setups).

The Vision looks like an attractive tank but I am concerned about the internal filter. Fluval filters seem to be more popular but I have also read about the Marine Emperor / Penguin. Has anyone any advice on the most appropriate filter?

If I get a tank with an included filter, the first thing that I do is try to use that filter. Almost any filter can be made to serve a tank if it holds enough filter media for the final fish population. Many tanks are now being made with a wet/dry type filter in the hoods. Such a filter can be a very good one. I would give the supplied filter a try before going to something else.

I have the rio large tank and i felt that the internal jewl would be hard pushed on its own £50 APS is running on the other end of the tank so am getting 138% filtration according to a tank calc. benifits are i can keep cleaning 1 filter every other month with no bacteria loss

I have the rio large tank and i felt that the internal jewl would be hard pushed on its own £50 APS is running on the other end of the tank so am getting 138% filtration according to a tank calc. benifits are i can keep cleaning 1 filter every other month with no bacteria loss

Yes, I wondered if another filter should be considered although it has also been said that I should try the internal on its own first. Sorry to be ignorant but what brand is APS? Is that one also an internal?

Can I ask what the tank is like? I think I may travel somewhere to view the tank first but it looks quite attractive. My partner is concerned about the weight of water but I have assured him that the tank is well built etc.

Aps is a popular external filter that alot of use on here, APS stands for All Pond Solutions they have the 1000L model for approx £45. The jewls are german made well built tanks, not the best but they do their job and im on my 3rd tank from them. I would think the jewl filter would cope with a light stocking as the media space is huge but that little pump has a small tank turn over :good:

i would stay away from brand new named tanks tbh. they are great tanks but the juwels but very overpricd especially on a bigger set up.

have you considered getting a custom made tank as it usually works out cheaper.

if you are in the UK then look at ND aquatics, poseidons palace and other companies that will make you a tank to the exact size requested and offer stands and hoods in numerous colours.

i have on its way from ND a 60x24x18 tank with stand and hood and it cost me £470 including delivery. ive had the back glass painted black for an extra £30 and LED lighting for another £100 so all together its cost £600 and i bet thats still cheaper than a new juwel. there are other options of opti white glass or blue background and they do good deals on filters and even substrate if required.

worth a look at a few websites as you can save some real cash. :good:

just very quickly googled the juwel vision 450 and the cheapest i could find was £795 :crazy: so you could save quite a bit by getting a custom made tank. just a tank, stand and hood cost me £470 so you would have £325 left over for filters and fish :hyper:

you paid £600 for the ND one and if you had not parts lying around you would need a external filter (decent) £80 plus a 300w or 2x 200w heaters £25 so maybe over £700 a jewl rio 300 which is the closest for volume 350L can be had for £599 .....mine came yesterday. All in all the ND are overpriced from what i can see.

havent read the whole thread.. but what a fab tank!! i had one and when i stood on a chair to clean it it was like looking over a pond lol.. massive and gorgeous

you paid £600 for the ND one and if you had not parts lying around you would need a external filter (decent) £80 plus a 300w or 2x 200w heaters £25 so maybe over £700 a jewl rio 300 which is the closest for volume 350L can be had for £599 .....mine came yesterday. All in all the ND are overpriced from what i can see.
i paid £470 and the rest was added on with extras like painted background and upgraded LED lights etc. i already have filters and heaters etc so no extra costs there. i assume that with the op stating that they were upgrading that they would have heaters etc.

i also make it about 425 litres so 75 litres more than the 350l juwel......

you have paid £599 for a 350L tank with a filter that will probably be removed and replace with an external as it takes up too much room and isnt ideal for asthetics or adding media etc.

i have paid £470 for a 425L tank that i can stick my FX5's on and not worry about having a huge black box in the corner so my fish get maximum swimming space and i get a better looking tank.

:unsure:

dont get me wrong the juwel tanks are very well made ive had a few over the years and look ok but they have flimsy lids and are known to have faulty light units which may have been resolved by now or i hope so anyway.... i have a rio 180 that the light still works but there are many out there that are faulty and cost a small fortune to repair.....

a custom made tank is cheaper also very well made and has glass sliders on top of the tank to keep condensation down to a minimum and then a hood with multiple areas for lighting etc etc instead of just having the 2 tubes provide by the manufacturer. you also get more choice of cabinet colours and handle choices etc to suit your liking.

i dont think ive had a bad deal tbh.

60" x 24" x 18 tank is 361L I also have external that im adding so no cost. What im saying is for a 1st tank by the time you got stand light and tank the ND are silly money not to mention from the pics you can see glue on joins of the stand and the tank has to sit on the chuck of Polystyrene puts me off. Each to their own i guess. I would get one and nearly did untill i saw one in the flesh and thought not for the money

i guess if you had filters and heaters lying about and got a stand made without having your eyes ripped out they would decent but as a all in one package too much £££

60" x 24" x 18 tank is 361L I also have external that im adding so no cost. What im saying is for a 1st tank by the time you got stand light and tank the ND are silly money not to mention from the pics you can see glue on joins of the stand and the tank has to sit on the chuck of Polystyrene puts me off. Each to their own i guess. I would get one and nearly did untill i saw one in the flesh and thought not for the money

i guess if you had filters and heaters lying about and got a stand made without having your eyes ripped out they would decent but as a all in one package too much £££

You need to take into consideration the water line too, as it won't be filled right to the brim at 18", or was it 24" high?.. I also make it to be 425 litres?

I believe the custom tanks are reasonably priced for a bare aquarium but i feel when you add in the cabinet/hood, it gets kinda ridiculous, just like brand new 'brand' name tanks. I eprsonally have decided to get a custom bare aquarium and build my own stand

60 wide 18 deep and 24 high = just under 425L

the polystyrene sheet is covered up with trim so should never be seen.....

the cabinets are very expensive but to buy the wood etc and build your own isnt dirt cheap, then you also have the fact that it was a self build that would stress me out a bit..... :lol:
i have a friend that makes furniture and out of the same materials that the ND cabinet is made he quoted me about £240 with a good discount so with the price of the tank at £204 ND have charged me £266 for the cabinet and hood which i dont think is too bad.
i have had tanks on breeze blocks in the past but this tank is going in my lounge so i wanted something that looks decent and not bodged up.....

every review about ND tanks has been great from what ive read and been told. even when they cock up they have great customer relations and are happy to correct them.
if it does turn up on wednesday with glue all over it then i will be ringing them up but everyone i know with an ND tank has raved about them.

60 wide 18 deep and 24 high = just under 425L

the polystyrene sheet is covered up with trim so should never be seen.....

the cabinets are very expensive but to buy the wood etc and build your own isnt dirt cheap, then you also have the fact that it was a self build that would stress me out a bit..... :lol:
i have a friend that makes furniture and out of the same materials that the ND cabinet is made he quoted me about £240 with a good discount so with the price of the tank at £204 ND have charged me £266 for the cabinet and hood which i dont think is too bad.
i have had tanks on breeze blocks in the past but this tank is going in my lounge so i wanted something that looks decent and not bodged up.....

every review about ND tanks has been great from what ive read and been told. even when they cock up they have great customer relations and are happy to correct them.
if it does turn up on wednesday with glue all over it then i will be ringing them up but everyone i know with an ND tank has raved about them.

Im self-building for a 48x18x18 :unsure: - I wouldnt dare attempt it for a 60x24x18. Considering the weight of a tank that size would be around 500kg, compared to my 281kg LOL

To answer the question in hand, I'd rip the filter that comes with it out, they're not very efficient, the output flow is poor, and the media volume is small in relation to tank size, then I'd replace it with a beefy external such as an FX5, by the time you've done this you could have saved money by having a custom build with an external filter bought separately, then again with a custom built tank you will have to sort out your own lighting and this can be expensive, the Juwel's come with good lighting (post 2008) so it's best if you price up what's best, but if you do go for the Juwel, you could leave the internal filter in and boost your circulation with a power head or an external filter.

Good idea about trim never thought such a simple idea. The ND webiste gives you how many litres each tank is

60" x 24" x 18" (Length x Height x Width) Standard Tropical Fish Tank & Cabinet:

Tank Volume: 79 UK Gallon ( 361 Litre )

Any way kind off went of track with this thread sorry op.Im doing what stanby suggested keeping the internal they have alot of surface area for housing the bacteria shame about the poor flow, in my case i got hold of the 1500pl internal jewl pump to replace it with plus adding my 1000L external soould have decent flow.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back