Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Jen's Forgotten Forest

Discussion in 'Planted Aquarium Journals' started by Jen, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Jen

Jen Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is the piece of wood that is the inspiration for our new build.

My husband and I have been wanting to set my old 55g tank again, but needed to wait until after our honeymoon so house sitters didn't have to take care of a tank too. One day I'm in my LFS replacing filter parts and I find this hollowed out tree stump and it's super cheap. I couldn't leave it behind. Later I was describing it to hubbs and said 'I envision this in a corner over grown with plants and moss like some forgotten forest'. He got chills, so a scape is born. Hopefully I'll be buying black or dark brown sand today to mimic the forest floor.

It's been 5 years without a tank for both of us, and I want to do this right so I don't get overwhelmed and give up as I have in the past.

I technically have 2WPG with my old fixture so I'm hoping I can remove one bulb because we don't want to get into co2.

If we get sand I should start the cycling process this weekend, and will be getting some seed gravel from the inlaws.

#1 Jen, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  2. thrujenseyes

thrujenseyes Member

Oh wow that's an awesome piece!! I can see how it was the inspiration!
    Can't wait to see what you do!

3. Jen

Jen Member

Apparently we just came into a filled 5pound co2 tank and we have a spare regulator in the beer making supplies, so looks like we are going semi-high tech after all. lol. It's amazing how much I have forgotten in my years away. I have 2wpg, and am looking at substrate with some nutrients (flourite maybe?). I will pick up some Flourish and excel fertilizers too. What else do I need? I'm planning on mosses to cover the wood, crypts (because they are my favourite) and plants that get red so my forest is in the fall. What's that red lilly bulb plant again? Wow, I'm so out of the game!

Here is me playing around with all the wood I own. I can't get it exactly as I want, so I'm hoping to take the slate off the long spindly pieces and lay them down to look like roots. We'll see. I feel like I need one very tall trunk rather than the perch on the right to keep it looking like a forest in there.

[​IMG]

4. thrujenseyes

thrujenseyes Member

Oh wow! I'm super jealous!
    I don't think you'll need the nutrient rich substrate if you have CO2!? But I may be wrong.
    I know that a lot of people here don't like that kind of substrate (I actually have it because I was a complete newbie when I bought it and I loved the look ...well, and they told me at the store my plants would need it).
    I think most will recommend sand for the bottom...especially if you want to have cories in there. They're little barbels need the fine sand to sift thru. Most everything else damages them.
    As for plants, I'm not sure where you purchase them but I get a weekly letter from Aquatic Arts and they just got in liverwort (I think that's the spelling) and it attaches to things (or free floats). There're running a sale on it for this week since it's new.

5. Jen

Jen Member

I plan on dosing liquid ferts, so you are right, I probably don't need special substrate. I was getting ready to buy 75pounds worth of black National Geographic brand aquarium sand for $75, and happened across a post about sandblasting sand. I'll be picking up 100pounds of it for $30 this weekend. More pictures on monday!

6. thrujenseyes

thrujenseyes Member

7. Jen

Jen Member

I finally tracked down cheap black sand at a local builders supply and spent the better part of my evening (hour and a half rinsing rinsing rinsing. I can't decide if the amount of water I went through made the savings worth it in the end lol. Half of it is in the tank and the other half is waiting for hubbs to get home to do the heavy lifting. 25kilos of sand is darn heavy when its wet!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. eaglesaquarium

eaglesaquarium Life, Liberty & Pursuit of the perfect fish tank
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Plant, Dwarf Lily.htm

Generally red plants require more light than green. Please give some specs on your light fixture. The "WPG" rating is not a meaningful one any more. That's measures energy used by the bulb not the amount of light given.

Also, there's no need for fluorite for nutrients. Dosing in the water column works and the fluorite, to be honest, adds almost nothing. A dirt substrate can, or you can add root tabs, especially around heavy root feeders like crypts and swords. In my own case I bought empty pill capsules and filled them with osmocote+, but you can fill it with almost anything. Some fill it with an iron rich clay (red clay) to help supply the necessary iron for more red plants to stay red.

9. Jen

Jen Member

So much has changed in the last 4 years! I have a HO T5 fixture with 2x54watt bulbs. I have successfully grown some brilliant reds in the past with this fixture, so I'm not anticipating many issues. I will definitely be using rood tabs and liquid ferts.