Jbl Algol

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

aaronc

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi All

Visited Chiltern Aquatics over the weekend, whilst visiting the old dear.

Picked some of this up.

Just wondering if anyone has used it and if so how well it worked, and also if it had any negative effect on clown loach or shrimps.

My tank is pretty much free of new algae, just wanted to get rid of the last little bits from before the time of CO2 etc

Thanks in advance
Aaron

I have seen it but never found any reviews or comments. AE sell it but that doesn't mean it is any good!

It is mentioned on *cough* other forums that certain popular Tropica plants can be purchased from, it seems to get mixed reviews though: some have said it worked superbly with no ill effects on plants or fish/shrimp etc, others have said it knocked their plants off for a week or two and it took the plants a while to recover.

Searching this forum shows that Themulous was going to try some but I didn't see any mention of any results, the threads were going back into 2006.

I've used it once - wiped out all the algae with no effect on any live stock. Wonderful stuff. Only problem had a co2 failure while on holiday and it's come back with a vengence. May need to retreat and start again :(

Good general rule after seeing various snake oils for over 30 years claiming to be algae killers etc:
if it does not focus on growing plants(not a plant nutrient), do not add it to your tank.

You should focus on why you have that algae, not the quick fix, take a pill mentality.

You do not learn nor does your horticulture skills improve.
Put another way: I can assure everyone, the algae does not grow from a lack of JBL algon, Bob's wonkey water algae miracle sauce, Bubba barley extract etc.

Algae grows because you failed to grow the plants well, no bottle is going to cure that.
It'll mask it for a time if you are lucky, but it does not help plants grow.

I could sell PO4 and claim it kills and cures GSA, I'd be right also.
I could sell KNO3 and claim it prevents BGA infection.

Etc.

Algae is a good way to tell that you have other issues going on, not that you need a special sauce. Peroxide, mild bleach solutions, Excel/Easy Carbon, copper all have a long history of use and are effective when used corretcly.

Excel at least adds some carbon, copper at low doses is a nutrient etc.
Still, I've yet to really need any of these items. A good pruning, identifying the algae allows me to know what is wrong in the tank(The EPA in the USA uses algae to determine the trophic state of streams etc) and take actions that focus on plant health.

If you do not take the root cause approach, then all that work is wasted.
So then you get desperate and start using the snake oils.
Learn to grow the plant well, keep up on things, spot the issue before it gets out of hand and take action then.

You'll do much better in this hobby and waste much less time/money.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Most reactions

trending

Back