Jawfish Has Huge Air Bubbles!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Pressburg

Reaction score
Our Jawfish suddenly began to develop these strange air pockets under his skin; they are really big sometimes and they go down but come back. He has these all over his body! We can't find any info on what it might be! Please help... Can't get the photo to upload

Sorry I don't know anything about jawfsh but I googled bubbles on jaw fish skin and found this http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=894 maybe it will help. 
This was a solution offered (so you don't have to scroll through all of it): by The Ediaz » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:23 pm
Remove whatever sucks air into your system, I had that happened to my percs after 35 days they will get so bloated they will burst, they had bubbles hanging like that. It did not happened to fish 60 days or older I think bigger fish can tolerate it better, I looked for everything nothin helped lost most my fish, a friend at FIT told me about it, removed the skimmer havent seen it in years.My larval system does not have a skimmer, just trickle filters. 

I am not saying thats wht you have but it sure looks like. 

E

If this doesn't help then I hope someone else comes along with something and you get your fish well again.

It may not be bubbles. They could be ulcers. Read up on them and get back to me. :)

Ulcers are pink, or red with a circling of dead white tissue around the edges.

Gas Bubble Disease

stethoscope.jpg

Symptoms:

Symptoms include blisters that are clearly visible beneath the skin, particularly in the head area, in and around the eyes. Blisters may also form inside the body. Sick fish will make a croaking sound when removed from the water.

microscope.jpg

Cause: 

Oxygen oversaturation: This disease is most frequently seen in heavily planted or Algae-ridden aquariums or ponds. In such a scenario, oxygen production can be so great that it upsets the proper balance of dissolved gases in the water causing very small gas bubbles to form inside of the fish. If these bubbles move to the blood stream they can be fatal.

Rx.jpg

Remedy: 

Perform an immediate water change to restore the proper gas balance. Clean away Algae and reduce the amount of live plants. Use an anti-algae chemical if necessary, such as Algae Destroyer. Reduce lighting to reduce oxygen production by the plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back