Java Moss Again Problems

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shadow1200

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought some x mas mos and java moss from ebay -_- yes ebay . I put the x mas moss in my tank 2 months ago it has not grown a bit . so i told the user i bought it off and he said ill send you some java moss for free . The java moss has been in my tank for 2 weeks now still no growth . I have but it in side a little container. I don't know if you have seen the bottom of a internal pump ? it has 100s of holes in side a little box you cna pull off ive put the java moss in side one of them .
I have also layed the java moss at the bottom of my fry tank. The one in the fry tank is going more and more brown each day. The fry tank is in front of a window so has light and has 100s of guppies in it.
The other tank i have the little box in with java moss in is a 4ft tank with 2xs 30wat light the light is on at least 5 hour's a day .

Any idea's on making it grow ? i put it inside the bottom of a old pump box because the person forgot to send me neting and im still waiting for netting ... but still it ent growing at the bottom of my fry tank just layed there its going browner

Can take Pics if needed

What i had my java moss in in my big tank
p1604111600.jpg

My fry tank not growing at all
p1604111557.jpg

Fry tank
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5463/p1604111558.jpg[/img

[b]What i have done now[/b]

[img]http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/6113/p1604111605.jpg

Other imaGE IS HERE
http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/6113/p1604111605.jpg
Of what ive done now with it

would this grow now ? the java moss is still in the fry tank but i toke the box out of the big tank and tied 2 to diftwood in my big tank
It smelled off dog poo a sign of something ?
why does moss smell of dog poo ?

Moss is so easy to grow just add some water and light. You might be trying to hard. The thing with moss is it gets dirty. If in a fry tank with not much water movement food and stuff will collect on it's fine leaves. This will make it look brownish. As gunk collects on it then light will not get to the tiny leaves as well. So when you do a water change you should clean your moss in tank water. Squeez it out and swish it around.

When ever I get moss I just let sink as a clump I don't tie it or anything at first. I had java moss grow out if control just left unattached. If you are going to attach it try and and keep it on something you can take out. When I had some on wood It would take the wood out and clean the moss on the wood. or get shrimp they clean it well.

As for getting it to grown. On other stuff. You want to thin it out. Don't make it as just a layer of moss in on a rock or something. Then your can just tie it down with thread. Or I use the clear mess bags that craft marbles come in. I think you can find just this mesh at a craft store. What I did thins time was thinned out my moss to cover a small rock. Then I put the rock and moss in the mess bag and made sure the bag was nice and tight around it. I have always had good luck when I tie it to something. You don't need mesh.

If you keel Cory cats or other fish that like to dig in the moss the nets are not the best idea. If you loesly tie it the Cory cats can wiggle in and out of the moss with out getting caught. My panda corys would lay eggs in the moss.

This is my moss rock. It's slowly growing throw the mesh.
mossgrow1.jpg

I have now tied it to my drift wood

p1604111605.jpg

The 1 problem im having is when i toke the java moss out of the tank it stuck off dog poo
It is not the tank or the water its the java moss is there any reason for this ?
Maybe its dieing ?

Maybe you should buy it from a different supplier? At least then you can rule one thing out. I tried to grow Java moss in a jar in a bright window and had no luck. As soon as I put it in my tank, it went like mad! As far as the smell, it sounds to me like it's rotting. Are there any green parts left? If the moss is just brown and disintegrating, then it's probably dying or dead.

Yer i have xmass moss in the tank which is brown brown. I have spread that across the bottom of the tank to see if i can get it back alive . the person i bought it off said ill send you some java moss ( the pics are off the java moss ) Thats has not mostly gone brown.
I It spell to. I have now tid the java moss to the drift wood but the spelling is putting me off.
Ive had 2 lots of java moss of him and 1 lot of x mas mos none of which have grown he is now sending me java fern.

Yer i have xmass moss in the tank which is brown brown. I have spread that across the bottom of the tank to see if i can get it back alive . the person i bought it off said ill send you some java moss ( the pics are off the java moss ) Thats has not mostly gone brown.
I It spell to. I have now tid the java moss to the drift wood but the spelling is putting me off.
Ive had 2 lots of java moss of him and 1 lot of x mas mos none of which have grown he is now sending me java fern.
How warm is the water that you have them growing? I noticed that when I kept my tank at 78 degrees Fahrenheit it didn't do as well as when I lowed the temperature to 74 degrees. Xmas moss is a cold water plant and will grow if the water is closer to 70. Also I have noticed that the lighting needed for my Java Moss needed almost 3wpg. What do you have yours at?

I think that stuff is dead mate, remove it.

Check temperature, and ask seller what temperature they have been keeping it at.

I've bought java moss from ebay and grown it without much problem, but I also bought various floating plants and they all promptly died (wrecking a filter).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back