Jack Dempsey And Angelfish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BerryAttack

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Just want some people's point of view on the subject. I have a pair of angel fish and the male is going to pass away any day now, swim bladder issues. I've had a pair of angelfish before and i noticed that if one dies the other one will. right now i'm leaving the tank dark, and has a towel to block light because then there would be less stress on the fish and would hope with would bounce him back, but he is fading.

I want my angelfish to live and wanted to upgrade the pair to a bigger tank and got a 36 gallon from a friend, but came with a yellow cichlid and a jack dempsey. was not part of the plan.

what is your point of view on them mixing. the tank has been set up for a while and there should be no problem moving them, but i was really not planning on having cichlids, but now i fell in love with them.
the jack dempsey is male, and is very shy and does not pick on the other cichlid, he is about almost full grown. my friend did keep a large anglefish with her cichlids and there was no sign of aggression.

i was thinking that if i relocate the female from the male right when he on his last breath (she is staying away from him, but has not changed her eating habits or behaviour) that she will not notice his death and carry on living. think this will work?

would love all point of view :)

I have no experience with JDs so I can't help there

However one thing I would say is swim bladder is a symptom and not a disease itself. It could be in the past that if two have died around the same time te same thing has killed them.

Do you have a water testing kit - if so what are your water stats?

It could be disease or it could be poor water quality which is killing your angel - or it could be neither. Either way I would want to find out before moving the other Angel to a different tank just in case it is a disease and the so far healthy Angel takes it with him and infects the cichlids.

for my male he had a partner before, but after moving them to another which was a down grade from their other tank because of the fish pairing the female died about 2 months after the move, and there was three angels left from the original tank two already paired and knew the non-paired was female because she was fat with eggs i moved her to the tank where it was just the male and they paired up very fast and laid eggs.

they only had two laying so far, and from their last laying was lost because it is also a community tank their behaviour changed. the male became very shy and always hid.

what would you recommend i do with the angel, i'm doing about a 25% water change to see if he will bounce back.

its just when ever a fish does this i know that it does not have long to live... i dont want to be seen as someone that doesn't care about the fish. i do its just i dont want to lose my other angel and want to know if putting an angel with cichlids would be alright even if it already paired and the partner might die.. would the chances of it recovering from the death be alright or would it just die along with him?

I've had bad luck with Angels recently, so I won't advise about that. But I do have a Jack Dempsey and wouldn't advise putting your other angel in with him. JD's can get very nasty. A male I used to have would kill everything I put in with him. The female I have now is still very nasty and I have her in with Green Terrors and a Red Tailed Shark. They all show aggression to each other but have many many hiding places and broken sight lines to help. I can't see an angel doing well with a Jack. Also, (and I may be wrong here), I don't know of any yellow new world cichlids, only Africans. Africans and New World cichlids shouldn't be kept together as they have very different water needs. I realize you got them that way, didn't choose them. I personally would separate them. Good luck with all of your fish!

I've had bad luck with Angels recently, so I won't advise about that. But I do have a Jack Dempsey and wouldn't advise putting your other angel in with him. JD's can get very nasty. A male I used to have would kill everything I put in with him. The female I have now is still very nasty and I have her in with Green Terrors and a Red Tailed Shark. They all show aggression to each other but have many many hiding places and broken sight lines to help. I can't see an angel doing well with a Jack. Also, (and I may be wrong here), I don't know of any yellow new world cichlids, only Africans. Africans and New World cichlids shouldn't be kept together as they have very different water needs. I realize you got them that way, didn't choose them. I personally would separate them. Good luck with all of your fish!
when i was at the store they had green terrors cichlid, and they match my fish more than what the jack dempsey look like. are the jack dempsey and green terror cichlid have the same aggression level? from the name terror i'm guessing so?

They are not the same fish, but they do have the same aggression level. I've heard reports of Green Terrors ripping apart JD's, but mine seem to be okay together. I guess I will have to wait and see when they are mature.

Jack Dempseys are a highly aggressive fish that should not be kept with angels. Angels are more delicate and in most situations, the angelfish would be shredded. Jack Dempseys and GTs can live together, but its best to put them together as babies. If you add too adults together they will probably spar and depending on size one will hurt the other. Both are very strong fish. BUT as the tank you got is only 36g, I would rehome the two cichlids it came with. A 36g is not big enough to house a Jack Dempsey and barely big enough for the angels.

thank you all for your input. :) really glad i asked, saved me an angel

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back