Is This Possible?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jhncf

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Only started cycling my tank on Sunday and heavily seeded it from a friends tank (sand, filter media, bucket of water with filter sponges sqeezed out into it) and after adding 4 ppm of ammonia 24 hours ago my results are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 80.. is it really possible for it to cycle this quickly?

It sounds promising.  I might be a bit concerned that you've taken all your friend's good filter media!
happy.png

The water won't count for much, most of the bacteria would have been in the media.
Try it again and see if you get zero readings tomorrow.  In fact, I'd be tempted to take multiple readings every few hours to verify that you can see the ammonia and nitrite levels falling.

He's moving his saltwater tank into his larger cichlid tank and getting rid of his cichlids, so I pinched that media!
wink.png
Ok i'll dose it back up today and check tomorrow morning and hopefully i'll get the same readings! Thanks
smile.png

It is for sure possible, with enough mature media you can start a tank with pretty much no cycle, a little cloudiness from debris and a slight bloom, and within the next morning clear water with no ammonia/nitrite.  Do test a couple more times just to make sure what you are seeing is correct, but I bet it is.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back