Is This Lymphocystis?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
That looks just like my betta did. His problem was where the big lump was - so close to his gill that as the lump grew it covered the gill. Your betta has been spared that, thank goodness.

I do agree, as long as he's behaviour is normal for a betta, don't do anything. His behaviour will change if he starts to suffer.

I just read thru this entire thread and must commend you and your son for being such caring people and taking such amazing care of his poor little guy that was dealt a tough hand at life. You've given him a wonderful home and much love which makes him very lucky ❤️

Poor little guy! He's got a good owner, though...

Thank you so much.

Hopefully someone else who has questions about lymphocystis can gain something from reading this thread and seeing Essjay's, Akasha's, and my own experiences.

I am hoping for advice here. All he does is lay on the bottom of the tank now. He comes up to eat but that's it. The lumps are getting larger too. The pictures just don't capture it. The lighting flattens it out and makes it look smaller than it actually is. I am wondering if it is time for me to end things. Is that the humane thing at this point or should I just let nature take its course? I really don't want to intervene but I also don't want to be selfish and let him suffer just to spare myself the discomfort of making that decision. But then again, would he choose to go sooner or just wait until it happens naturally? Opinions are desperately wanted right about now. Thank you.
IMG_20161229_094839.jpg
IMG_20161229_094157315~2.jpg
IMG_20161229_110745.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. You've done right by him so far and will continue no matter what you're decision.
It's always a tough call. The only advice I can offer is to not let him suffer. If he's still eating and pooping that usually means an animal has a will to live. Usually when they stop eating that's when they're done....although I'm not sure this applies to fish...since they kind of seem to be such gluttons. I would just go by what I see and feel in my heart. Good Luck. He's a very lucky fish and he knows that and appreciates the life you gave him. Whatever you do will be right because it's done with love.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. You've done right by him so far and will continue no matter what you're decision.
It's always a tough call. The only advice I can offer is to not let him suffer. If he's still eating and pooping that usually means an animal has a will to live. Usually when they stop eating that's when they're done....although I'm not sure this applies to fish...since they kind of seem to be such gluttons. I would just go by what I see and feel in my heart. Good Luck. He's a very lucky fish and he knows that and appreciates the life you gave him. Whatever you do will be right because it's done with love.
Thank you so much for your kind words. I think you are right about the will to live. That's what's holding me back from feeling that ending things is right at this point. It just doesn't seem right yet. But, I definitely wanted another opinion because when things are this tough, it can be difficult to understand one's emotions. Am I letting him live because it is the decision I think he would want me to make were he capable of it, or because I want to spare myself the burden?

Thank you again for helping me sort this out.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I think you are right about the will to live. That's what's holding me back from feeling that ending things is right at this point. It just doesn't seem right yet. But, I definitely wanted another opinion because when things are this tough, it can be difficult to understand one's emotions. Am I letting him live because it is the decision I think he would want me to make were he capable of it, or because I want to spare myself the burden?

Thank you again for helping me sort this out.
you're welcome and good luck!

I recently saw a betta with a similar issue in Petsmart. It literally made me tear up. :-(

A few days ago I noticed that Cannonball was barely interested in his food. That's not good, I said to myself. He's been sluggish and now he barely wants to eat. Maybe it's time for me to intervene. So, I got a glass tupperware container and the clove oil and scooped up a bowlful of his tank water. Then I remembered my son saying in the store when we bought him, "I don't want him to die in a cup! Let's bring him home and give him a good home." I dumped the water back in the tank. I just couldn't do it. Unless things get a lot worse, nature will have to take its course.

Now to this morning... Cannonball was lying flopped over, head downwards in his banana plant, not moving. Oh dear. I guess it happened, I said to myself. So I called my son over and said, "I'm sorry honey, but I have some bad news about Cannonball." We had a sad conversation about how Cannonball had a great life and because of my son's compassion and putting the animal's welfare before his own feelings, this little fish had a way better quality of life than he probably would have had otherwise. My son got on the school bus this morning, very sad.

After getting the kids on the bus, I walk back into the house and the fish has moved. Not much, but he moved. Oh good gravy, did I just have this dramatic conversation with my son for no reason? Yup. He's still alive!

Now, seriously, I don't think he has much longer. He doesn't appear to be suffering either. He is not gasping, his gills are not moving quickly. He seems to just be slowing down to the point of almost being stopped. I am still going to let him go on his own terms. If I end things with clove oil, his last moments will be of being scooped up out of his home and plunked into funky water. His last moments will end in panic. That is not the death I want for him or that I think he would choose for himself if he could do so. I have used clove oil on two other fish in the past and although there was a moment of panic, I still felt like it was the right thing to do because it ended what appeared to be prolonged suffering. According to what I have read, lymphocystis is not painful (I assume they know this by observing fish behavior). My experience suggests also that it does not seem to bother the fish. And again, he does not appear to be suffering, only passing slowly and peacefully. I know not everyone will agree with the decision to let him go on his own, but at this point, in his current condition, I believe it is the right thing to do for him.

In case anyone is wondering, I tested the water just to make sure there is nothing wrong and everything is fine. I also checked the temperature to make sure the heater didn't break or something. I do weekly water changes and the water quality is good. Nothing new has been added. I don't know why he is dying but apparently lymphocystis lowers the immune system. I can't imagine having a giant cyst that covers a quarter of your body can be good for overall health. Anyway, I can't find any reason that I can "fix" for him dying.

I'll update again if anything else happens.

A few days ago I noticed that Cannonball was barely interested in his food. That's not good, I said to myself. He's been sluggish and now he barely wants to eat. Maybe it's time for me to intervene. So, I got a glass tupperware container and the clove oil and scooped up a bowlful of his tank water. Then I remembered my son saying in the store when we bought him, "I don't want him to die in a cup! Let's bring him home and give him a good home." I dumped the water back in the tank. I just couldn't do it. Unless things get a lot worse, nature will have to take its course.

Now to this morning... Cannonball was lying flopped over, head downwards in his banana plant, not moving. Oh dear. I guess it happened, I said to myself. So I called my son over and said, "I'm sorry honey, but I have some bad news about Cannonball." We had a sad conversation about how Cannonball had a great life and because of my son's compassion and putting the animal's welfare before his own feelings, this little fish had a way better quality of life than he probably would have had otherwise. My son got on the school bus this morning, very sad.

After getting the kids on the bus, I walk back into the house and the fish has moved. Not much, but he moved. Oh good gravy, did I just have this dramatic conversation with my son for no reason? Yup. He's still alive!

Now, seriously, I don't think he has much longer. He doesn't appear to be suffering either. He is not gasping, his gills are not moving quickly. He seems to just be slowing down to the point of almost being stopped. I am still going to let him go on his own terms. If I end things with clove oil, his last moments will be of being scooped up out of his home and plunked into funky water. His last moments will end in panic. That is not the death I want for him or that I think he would choose for himself if he could do so. I have used clove oil on two other fish in the past and although there was a moment of panic, I still felt like it was the right thing to do because it ended what appeared to be prolonged suffering. According to what I have read, lymphocystis is not painful (I assume they know this by observing fish behavior). My experience suggests also that it does not seem to bother the fish. And again, he does not appear to be suffering, only passing slowly and peacefully. I know not everyone will agree with the decision to let him go on his own, but at this point, in his current condition, I believe it is the right thing to do for him.

In case anyone is wondering, I tested the water just to make sure there is nothing wrong and everything is fine. I also checked the temperature to make sure the heater didn't break or something. I do weekly water changes and the water quality is good. Nothing new has been added. I don't know why he is dying but apparently lymphocystis lowers the immune system. I can't imagine having a giant cyst that covers a quarter of your body can be good for overall health. Anyway, I can't find any reason that I can "fix" for him dying.

I'll update again if anything else happens.

I feel that you are doing the absolute right things every step of the way and exactly what I'd be doing in each circumstance. This fish really hit the lottery on you guys loving him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it finally happened. Poor little guy finally swam under the rainbow bridge. My son had a little box that he wanted to bury him in, so Cannonball had a proper send off. Thankfully, despite being the middle of winter, it has been unusually warm and the ground was actually diggable under the snow.

Hopefully this thread will help others who get a fish with lymphocystis. Cannonball lived for almost a year with this with no apparent pain or suffering from it. (Based on behavior) He just lived his life and then in the end, went quietly and peacefully.

Rest in peace, Cannonball.

RIP Cannonball.

He had the best life with you until his illness caught up with him.

Swim free sweet Cannonball...
You and your son are awesome, I sure hope you both know that!

Swim free sweet Cannonball...
You and your son are awesome, I sure hope you both know that!
Thank you so very much. Your comments throughout this journey have been so helpful and considerate. Your warmth and kindness have been much appreciated!

:byebye::rip:
If it had been me, I would have been grateful for an owner (owners) who loved me enough to care for me and take me in, when nobody else would. Despite his physical appearance, you took care of him, and gave him a good little while. How long was he alive again? Almost a year? He most likely died of old age, rather than the cyst... and you gave him a good home and the care he needed.

If only the whole world was made up of people with hearts like yours... :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back