Is This Light Sufficient For My Future Planted Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

juhason

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I finally found a light that can replace the coral bulbs in my biocube (I'm converting it to freshwater).

This is it: http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=71_45_122_128&products_id=1000

It is 36 watt 16" full spectrum 6500k light bulb. I was wondering, do I need more than one? I want this to be a low-tech setup with dwarf sagittaria, java moss, and java fern and some floating plants (water lettuce, frogbid, maybe both). The tank is 29 gallons and is 20" long X 21" Wide X 18.625" High. I am wondering only about lighting, I already know what my temperature and water chemistry will be.
good.gif

Thanks in advance!

Dwarf Sag, Java Fern, Java Moss, Water Lettuce, Frogbit are all low light plants really, so the lights are not paramount but 3500k its is probably more than adequate but being LED I am unsure what colours, it has on the unit, apparently blues do not do a great deal for plants or fish, greens and reds are more helpful, but as long as its not too intense, it should be fine.

I have Java moss, Anubias, Vals, Water Lettuce and Crypts all growing under basic 2 x T8 Daylight bulbs and all the wwehe plants have been doing fine, I add some ferts during the week and not had any issues, a little BBA is creeping in but its very slow and is sort of under control....for now :x

One thing I would caution, Frogbit grows in just about under any condition, and it will probably overwhelm your tank water surface and its real hard work to remove completely from your tank should you change your mind about having them in your tank.  Water Lettuce is a much safer bet and easy to remove excess numbers.

I have had several different types of floating plants and water lettuce is the one I am most pleased about for my tanks :)

Having to find a suitable light for the fixture you have, as opposed to deciding on new lighting, can restrict your options obviously, but from the data in the link I would give this a try.  The spectrum at 6500K [I think Ch4rlie meant 6500K not 35ooK] is good, though we cannot tell the "highs" without a spectral graph and different tubes can be different.  But it looks good.

My only concern would be the intensity.  You have something of a cube tank, so it is deeper and this helps.  Floating plants can help too.  And then the duration helps provided the intensity is not too far beyond what is needed.

Byron.

Byron said:
Having to find a suitable light for the fixture you have, as opposed to deciding on new lighting, can restrict your options obviously, but from the data in the link I would give this a try.  The spectrum at 6500K [I think Ch4rlie meant 6500K not 35ooK] is good, though we cannot tell the "highs" without a spectral graph and different tubes can be different.  But it looks good.

Oops!! Yes, indeed quite correct I meant 6500k not 3500k, my mistake, a typo.

Even at 3500k would be quite a poor light for most plants, but daresay it may be ok for these java ferns and anubias, just means will grow extremely slower than normal grwoth.

Thank you for spotting this and correcting this error.

Most reactions

Back