Is This Hair Algae?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rodders

Fish Addict
Reaction score
on the moss, but I thought it that was green, this is brown stuff.

Also, I have brown poo thickness like stuff, assume it algae, can just see in this photo on the wood. Any idea what this is?

Plants are growing ok, I have CO2 and does plant foods (TNC complete and Scahem flourish), just battling this algae. I also put phosphate remover in the the filter to try and help.

Attachments

• DSC_0162.JPG
    DSC_0162.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 441
to me personally I don't think it looks like hair algae, hair algae stands up more than that. but I would definitely look into it

That is one type of brush algae, sometimes called black brush or beard algae.  It can appear in more than one form.  Technically, it is a "red algae," but it is usually seen as black, brown, very dark grey and even very dark green.  Like all problem algae, it is caused by an imbalance in the light/nutrient level.

We will need a photo of the brown stuff to hopefully ID it.  Sounds like some form of organics, but a photo will help.

Byron.

Tried with a torch and my phone but they didnt come out very well. Will have to try again tomorrow when lights on are if these are not good enough.

Attachments

• DSC_0165.JPG
    DSC_0165.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 443
  • DSC_0164.JPG
    DSC_0164.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 478
  • DSC_0163.JPG
    DSC_0163.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 435
I have no idea what that is, it is not what I was thinking of previously.

ooer, thats not so good then.

Your right about the brush algae, all over the moss and youi can see it on the grass in one of the other photos.

But yea, no idea on that other poo size stuff.

Well your phosphate remover should give a clue... if it helps then you have too much phosphate.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back