Is This Guppy Pregnant

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SteelerLuke

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I added some new Guppies to my tank last week & this one particular female is a lot larger than the others & I think she may be pregnant. As a precaution I have placed her in a breeding tank.

At the pet shop where I bought her from she was in purely with females (apparently) & she hasn't been mixed with any males for any period of time in my tank. She's also not eating any food which I put in in the tank for her.

Here's a picture below anyway, what does everyone else think? I've had pregnant guppies before but never quite as fat as this! I once had a female that knocked-out 21 fry!

u0qh0.jpg

Regards,

Luke

She does look pregnant, but has a while to go before she drops, possibly a week or so
I'd take her out if the breeder

She is pregnant, but still has a week or two to go yet; she's not really that big, although if she's young she won't get as large or have as many fry as a mature female.

Guppies can have a lot more than 21 fry; that's actually quite a small 'litter'; they can have 60 or 70 or even more, believe it or not!

It doesn't matter that she was in a tank of females, or that she didn't spend much time with your males, as female guppies can store sperm for around six months.

Her not eating is a bit of a worry; how big is your breeding tank, does it have a mature filter, and is there plenty of cover/plants for her to hide in?

She is pregnant, but still has a week or two to go yet; she's not really that big, although if she's young she won't get as large or have as many fry as a mature female.

Guppies can have a lot more than 21 fry; that's actually quite a small 'litter'; they can have 60 or 70 or even more, believe it or not!

It doesn't matter that she was in a tank of females, or that she didn't spend much time with your males, as female guppies can store sperm for around six months.

Her not eating is a bit of a worry; how big is your breeding tank, does it have a mature filter, and is there plenty of cover/plants for her to hide in?

I've had my tank for around 10 years but to be honest I know little about the types of fish I had - I didn't know your facts about guppies, thanks for that!

When I say "breeding tank" I actually mean one of those little plastic breeders that floats in the top of your tank where the fry can fall through the bottom. I have a smaller tank (6 litres) where I usually keep fry, but I let the pregnant females have the fry in this plastic breeder & then move them to the smaller tank.

I haven't had any guppies for a couple of years, so maybe I can't remember just how big they are when pregnant, she certainly eclipses my other guppies at the moment!

I came home from work today to find this;

n3kux0.jpg

beui6d.jpg

It looks like my pregnant Guppy has some sort of 'mouth rot'. I mentioned in my initial post that she hadn't been eating & this probably explains why.

She seems to be the only fish in my tank currently that has this problem.

I'm unsure as to what to do now, any advice would be appreciated!

Well, I woke this morning to find this fish dead which is a real shame considering she was pregnant. It now also looks like some of my other Guppies have a disease which I'm unsure as to what it is... Part of their back has gone white & looks like it's rotting, I'll post a couple of pics later when I get home from work, in the meantime any other advice would be great!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back