Is this fin rot

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

joseph2739

Reaction score
287cb4ffb4df55104c9188988b10b350.png

This is my Oscar and I need help to see if this is fun rot so I can treat it but to me it seems to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is either fin rot, or other fish nipping at it. What other fish do you have in that tank, and do they seem aggressive towards him?

Fin rot is caused by bacteria or protozoans eating the tissue on the fins and body. It normally occur in dirty tanks and tanks with poor water quality.

Do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean each day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the aquarium.
After the week of daily water changes and gravel cleans, do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean at least once a week.

Clean the filter as well. Power filters should be cleaned at least once a month, preferably every 2 weeks. Undergravel filters should be done every time you do a water change.

If it gets worse after a week of water changes then you will need to medicate. Methylene blue works well but wipes out filter bacteria so fish should be treat in a separate tank or their filter should be moved to another tank until treatment has finished. However, do water changes and gravel cleans first and see how the fish goes.

You can add some rock salt, sea salt or swimming pool salt to the tank in addition to the water changes.
Use 1 heaped tablespoon of salt per 20 litres of water. Keep the salt level up for a couple of weeks if you can.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a Calculator/ Converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of the page that will let you convert litres to gallons.

Fin rot is caused by bacteria or protozoans eating the tissue on the fins and body. It normally occur in dirty tanks and tanks with poor water quality.

Do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean each day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the aquarium.
After the week of daily water changes and gravel cleans, do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean at least once a week.

Clean the filter as well. Power filters should be cleaned at least once a month, preferably every 2 weeks. Undergravel filters should be done every time you do a water change.

If it gets worse after a week of water changes then you will need to medicate. Methylene blue works well but wipes out filter bacteria so fish should be treat in a separate tank or their filter should be moved to another tank until treatment has finished. However, do water changes and gravel cleans first and see how the fish goes.

You can add some rock salt, sea salt or swimming pool salt to the tank in addition to the water changes.
Use 1 heaped tablespoon of salt per 20 litres of water. Keep the salt level up for a couple of weeks if you can.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a Calculator/ Converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of the page that will let you convert litres to gallons.

Thank you

It is either fin rot, or other fish nipping at it. What other fish do you have in that tank, and do they seem aggressive towards him?

No, the other fish are not aggressive towards him

Most reactions

Back