Is This Cycling Length Normal?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

eslingerl10

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 3 gallon tank with one male betta in it. I keep the temperature around 78 degrees and it has a filter. I've had this fish tank for about 3 months now, and the cycling process is only about half way done!! There is 0 ammonia, but very high levels of nitrites and nitrates. Is this process taking forever because of the size of the tank? Or is there something that I'm doing wrong? I know that trying to cycle anything below 10 gallons is difficult, but it seems to be working out for me so far.. just taking forever.

Thanks guys! I've done everything right.. I'll just have to keep doing big water changes until the cycle completes.

I believe the size of the tank is the primary issue.  The smaller the tank, the faster the concentration will grow.  The waste products from the fish will be the same in a small tank versus a small tank.  In a smaller tank, there are less surfaces to grow on and the concentrations just increase much faster.

Finally, I'd suggest adding a live plant or two to help add some bacteria, and even take up some ammonia directly (which will lead to less nitrite building up).  Bettas appreciate some floating plants, anubias, etc.   

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back