Is This Algae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

starlitsunrise

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just noticed these small green patches on the sand in my 10 gallon tank. I was just curious if it was algae?

20140920_0933531.jpg

Also I would really appreciate it if you guys would have a look at this thread as well: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/435706-one-of-my-african-dwarf-frogs-died/

I agree, though it may be true algae or cyanobacteria, I can't tell.  One suggestion though is to remove the strand of moss, as I find this can sometimes help substrate algae/cyano.

I actually thought the moss was the issue until I looked again more closely after reading Ch4rlie's post.

Be vigilant with the tank light; a white substrate encourages this more than darker colours because of the reflected light.  Floating plants can help here.  Also water changes help, and keeping nutrients and organics low.

Byron.

Ok, thanks to both of you for your replies. I'm not home at the moment, but when I get home tomorrow I will be doing a water change and I'll see if I can dig some of it our. 

If this is BGA then removing it won't necessarily get rid of it. A blackout (as suggested in Ch4rlie's link) will get rid of it initially but it will be back very quickly so what you need to do is look into removing the causes if it. Its not actually an algae but is a bacteria that starts due to low nitrates and will grow in areas where there is poor water circulation.

What you need to do is look at the set-up of your tank, making sure there is good flow and that, if you are dosing ferts, you have a consistent level. I actually avoided having to carry out a blackout by purchasing a wavemaker to make sure the flow was good in my tank and I double dosed my EI ferts. It struggled for a little while before disappearing.

I'd therefore make sure you read the link Ch4rlie provided but be careful of some of Byron's comments as keeping nutrients low is one of the causes for BGA taking hold.

I read the link, but the idea of not feeding my betta or my frog for 4 days worries me. It's good to know that you solved your problem with out the black out, I'll increase the air flow to my sponge filter and throw in a bubbler to see it that helps at all. 

I am getting a bit confused from the last few posts, so permit me to see if I can sort this out.

First, cyanobacteria.  I assume this is what some are referring to by BGA (= blue green algae).  I do not think what is showing on the substrate in the photo is cyanobacteria; it is more likely common green algae.  This is a light/nutrient issue.  I checked your other thread on the frog, and no mention was made there of the light so I do not know what you have over this 10g, but I would either decrease the intensity, duration, or provide shade as with floating plants.  Any one of these might be sufficient, depending upon the light intensity.

Second, still on cyanobacteria.  This is caused by organics in the presence of light.  Organics can be increased by any one or more of several factors: increased fish food; increased fish load; increased plant fertilizers; insufficient water changes; insufficient substrate cleaning.  Increasing the light, or having too bright a light over the tank, coupled with one of these can cause cyanobacteria.  Blackouts can obviously clear it, but it will probably return if the organic issue is not resolved.  

Water flow is not a direct cause, and may not be relevant at all.  I have tanks with minimum flow, and even had one 10g with no filter for a year, but I never saw cyano.

Low nitrates is also not a cause.  Organics usually result in higher nitrates, though not always.  And from the data in the other thread, nitrates are stated as 5 to 20.  This is quite a range...what test are you using?  But aside from that, nitrates at 20 ppm would suggest organics may be high, and while this can feed cyano it can also feed algae.

So that brings us back to the issue here, which I think from the photo is green algae.  Light may be too intense, plus reduce the nitrates which can be too much feeding or plant nutrients.

Byron.

Ok so I cleared out what I could with a net and turkey baster, got a bunch of it out in the process. Below is a picture of the largest clump to come out (not the best picture, I know). I do think this is Blue Green Algae, I noticed on the website Ch4rlie linked it said BGA smelled, while I wouldn't say it smelled bad it did have a pretty strong odour. After I took it out I did a 50% water change. I also rearranged my tank set up and removed the clear tube from my sponge filter (there is a picture below in case you don't know what tube I'm referring to) so hopefully this will allow for better water flow in the tank. I added in a little ceramic plate to put my frog's food on so that it doesn't get lost in the substrate and create unnecessary waste. I also want to look into some low tech floating plants to help darken the tank a bit. 

Byron said:
I checked your other thread on the frog, and no mention was made there of the light so I do not know what you have over this 10g, but I would either decrease the intensity, duration, or provide shade as with floating plants. 

Low nitrates is also not a cause.  Organics usually result in higher nitrates, though not always.  And from the data in the other thread, nitrates are stated as 5 to 20.  This is quite a range...what test are you using?  But aside from that, nitrates at 20 ppm would suggest organics may be high, and while this can feed cyano it can also feed algae.

In response to what lighting I have, I am currently using the Marineland 17inch Hidden Lighting system, it's stats are: .06 watt 6,500K White LED and 460nm Blue Actinic LED. And I'm using the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, I was having trouble differentiating the colours for 5, 10 and 20 ppm, especially when trying to compare them to the liquid's colour. I knew it was at least 5 and at max 20 so I just put that down. 

Thanks for the help!

1520750_557592131007542_8368323307698307693_n.jpg

images.jpg

(I took off the clear tube on top to allow the bubbles to disperse and create more water movement.)

Yes, i would agree from that last photo, it is cyanobacteria.

Yes, have to agree, BGA / cyanobacteria peels off so that looks like its be taken off in one go.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back