Is This A Thick Lipped Gourami?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Do you have a picture of these fish?

edit: In fact, I went to the site from which you borrowed that pic and they have it listed under dwarf gourami - not honey. I'm not posting the link because it's partly a forum and I believe it's against the rules here to do so.

I have two of those fish. In my LFS they were listed as honey sunset gouramis. the male has a little black coloration around the ends of the fins and is more brightly colored than the female. The male built a bubble nest, but to spawning yet. They seem to be either honey or thick lipped because even though my male built the nest, there hasn't been any major change in coloration like how the honey gourami is portrayed to have. As of now, taking into account my fish and the opinions of the more experienced members of this site, I would have to say we have Sunset Thick-lipped Gouramis.

They are all peaceful fish capable of living in a community tank. I would recommend keeping these fish as they are friendly and very pretty to watch.

On a complete tangent: he is a very beautiful fish...whatever species he happens to be. Good luck trying to find out!

the behavior of both possible fish are pretty similar right? if so, it doesnt really matter right? as long as it doesnt die or slaughter your other fish, i dont think a 2" fish can do much damage anyways, at least compared to the fish i have.

Hi again
Well it is definively a Thick lipped Gourami. He is now about 2.5 iches long. He's cute but he can be aggressive sometimes.
He attacked one of my Cobalt dwarf and tore quite a few scales of of him. And the Cobalt which is at least his size. That was a few weeks ago. He's been ok since then. I'll have to keep an eye on him. :shifty:
Here's some links to my Gouramies, you can see that the dwarfs and the honey are different than him.(Thick lipped)

This is the Thick lipped- look at the mouth and the lenght of the body. And the pointed dorsal fin.(note that the dark back is because of a shadow)
Thicklipped10.jpg

This is the Honey(male)
honey2.jpg

This is one of my Dwarf Cobalt(male)
Poissons00004_RJ.jpg

This is the Dwarf Red Fire(male)
DwarfGouramired9.jpg

This is one of my Pearl gouramis(male)
GouramiPerlmleadulte.jpg

So mystery solved, this is a Thick lipped Gourami

hello...
yes i agree gourami`s are lovely fish , i just got 4 ther other day but im abit unsure what type they are and how big they get, my girlfriend bought them and didnt assk wot they were ya see. 2 of them are orange with a lovely blue tail which really stands out (LFS said they are honey gourami`s they look alot like the pic u displayed) DOES YOURS HAVE A NICE LIGHT BLUE TAIL cos if it does you have the same as me. mine looks like the pics posted off the aquarium shop site. id like 2 know what they are and how big they get, also she bought 2 bright yellow beautiful gourami`s (really colourful) which are alot larger than the orange ones. id like 2 know what theyre called and how big they get as i think theyre guna be big ones.
id really appreciate it if u cud help me, thanks
LEO
:rolleyes:

MY AQUARIUM
3 clown loaches, 3 cory`s, 1 common plec (if theres another name for the common plec cud u let m kno plz) , 8 neons, 2 blue rams, 2 honey gourami`s??? (poissibly), 2 ytellow gourami`s ? , red tailed shark and 3 candy loaches ( botia something?? ) (plz cud u help me identify the candy loach aswell as im not 2 sure wot the proper name is. thanks
:good:

Hi,
Am i in trouble?
I bought a fish this afternoon and it was sold to me has being a red honey gourami. Once i got him in my community tank, i started to look at him closer and i'm worried he's not a honey gourami at all. Here's a picture of him. He's about 1.75 inches long.

RedGourami.jpg

If it's a thick lipped gourami, should i be worried about having him in my community tank. My 60 gallon tank has All kinds of gouramies, a dozen neons and a otocynclus.

He's kind of cute but i'm pretty sure the LFS would take him back if i wanted to return him. Should i???

how do i get pictures to show up in messages? :/

I just found this thread after a search for "Honey or Thicklipped?"

I have the same fish, in fact I have 2 of them in separate tanks because they don't get along with each other. I have always thought they were Honey Gouramis but now I'm convinced mine is a Sunset Thicklipped Gourami because of the size, one is 3 inches long head to tail & the other is about 3.5 inches. Too big for a Honey for sure, and the dorsal is very long, and pointed.

DSCN1524.jpg

DSCN1319.jpg

And here's his brother in a different tank:

DSCN1331.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back