Is this a load of B.S?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lynzmk

Reaction score
Hmmm
at the local pets at home the other day getting some plec proof plants and we were admiring the markings on some gibbiceps plecs. The guy there usualyl seems very knowlegeable and honest - doesnt try to sell u stuff for the sake of making money - in fact when i asked for a female guppy and told him to pick one, he looked at the tank for ages then said, no sorry love, you're better off going elsewhere this week, i wouldn't have any of these, looks like a touch of white spot in the tank.

So... when he then advised us that if we got another plec it would stop our existing plec (hyp. plec) getting too big for the tank bcos 2 of them would b competing for food i was a bit 'hmmmmmm' ...

From waht i've read on here i'd b inclined to think this would only stunt the growth of both plecs unnaturally.

Any thoughts on this? Mostly hypothetical since we're totally fully stocked at the mo!!

L x

Hi lynzmk :)

You're right. What you would end up with is 2 hungry stunted plecos. :X

Doing that would probably also result in stunting all the other fish in your tank as well.

yup thought as much!

Don't suppose anyone can be a complete expert in a hobby as vast as this though. I've found most of this guys other advice to be sound, and he is very honest, so i think he just genuinely thought what he was saying was right.

Thanks!

L x

I've never heard such a suggestion before!

What will most likely happen if they do not have enough food for two, is that one plec will be bullied and you will end up with one big fat pleco, and one skinny dying pleco.

Ken

Most reactions

trending

Back