Is This A Boy Or Girl Baby Betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GuppyGirl20

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Today I bought a baby betta from petco. I'm thinking it's a boy but I's not for sure. Also if anyone can take a stab at what kind of betta it is that would be great. (I haven't named it yet because I'm iffy on it's gender :/ )

20140416_192610.jpg

20140416_210320.jpg

Looks like a female, due to short fin and low color, not sure species though.

Thanks. She looks like she has two tails and the only double tail adult they had at petco is a male so I didn't know if they grow into they big grand fins or not. 
Do you think you can give me an estimate on how old she is? I'm thinking like 3 months(ish)
I wish the pictures could show this but she shimmers in different colors like greens and blues when the lights hit her and she's such a pretty thing. I think I'll call her Garvia :) 

(Can't find the edit button on my phone) Garveia*** (gar vey a) is what I meant.

This particular betta is too young to tell gender.  It will be at least another month before you can start really looking at the gender.  All bettas even the ones with the huge tails start out with short tails and also normally keep a neutral color for a good while before showing color.  

Your betta is a DT (double tail) and since it is still quite young and small, I can not even begin to guess on color yet.  Healthy looking baby betta though.  :D

Here's a much better picture
20140417_081509.jpg

Looks like a completely different betta from yesterday! Look at that red!!!

Took this on the 17th also, I didn't realize you could clearly see the fins until just now.
20140417_081459.jpg

Hi did you delete all your photobucket pictures? lol theres none left

I moved them into an album on photobucket. I didn't know that messes it up on here. I'll try and figure out how to fix it. I might have to just unalbum my photes. Sorry about this. Hopefully I'll have this foxed later today (I'm on my phone presently)

Beautiful red double tail. Hard to say gender just yet give it about another week. Then look for an oviposter or fin growth. 

Ehhh after looking at some pics of bettas and I didn't see any males with striped on them so I'm really thinking it's a female 

The stripes are stress, and for young ones part of the camo. I say you have a little boy on your hands. The finnage seems to be growing even though slowly and the body is becoming longer and more streamlined.

Hm I wonder why it'd be stressed though :/ the last water change I did was on Monday so nothing has been disturbing the water since then.

Most reactions

Back