Is There Hope That Female And Male Beta's Get Along ?

Slangenvisje

Reaction score
So we got for the first time our Aquarium,i'm mainly having kuhli loaches,and a few others,but my mom really wanted a beta splendens , and so she came home with a ...

*Crowntail beta

However in the shop they told my mom it would be perfectly fine to keep 2 females with it,so my mom came home,and atm they are all in the same tank x_x I kinda heared from many people they don't get a long with females at all x_x so anyone knows some more info about it ?

What size tank is it? It can be done in rare cases, but you're looking at a very large tanks with lots and lots of plant cover for the females to hide, and a large female to male ratio. What's the rest of your stocking? If you have nippy fish like certain tetra species, barbs, guppies,etc. then tank size allowing I would return the male and up your group of females to 6. If you don't have nippy fish, and the tank isn't very large, I would return the females and keep the male. But keep an eye on him, their personalities differ hugely, you may have one that is really aggressive and wont take to any tank mates, or a really laid back one who wont give a damn, all down to the individual personality.

I also just wanted to ask if your tank is cycled? This means the process of building up bacteria in your filter which will break down ammonia and nitrite, which takes roughly 4-6 weeks. If you haven't cycled your tank, and don't know what this means, please have a read here:  Fish in cycling. You'll need to grab yourself a test kit for ammonia and nitrite, and the advice in that link really needs to be followed as strictly as possible, otherwise your risk your fish being poisoned in their own waste. I would also recommend clicking on the link in my signature and reading as much information as possible- new tanks can be a lot more complicated than expected, and it's good to be as prepared as possible
good.gif

If you have already cycled your tank, then good on you
biggrin.png

And welcome to TFF!
biggrin.png

I agree with Flute ... my first fighter (in a long time) was in the LFS with two females and one day he beat them up a bit, the next day they turned on him and removed all his fins to short stubs - the females were then removed.  I bought him as I had been watching him for sometime and I liked his personality.  His fins did eventually grow back, but if the three had stayed together then it may have ended in a worse disaster.  He is now three years old :)  I keep my males and females separate from each other, and the girls live as a group in a large aquarium with lots of hiding places and live plants.  Now and again I still need to "rescue" one and give her a rest if she is being bullied a little.  So from my experience I would only keep the male.  Do you have a picture of him?

I believe betta imbellis will live with females and other males but otherwise you would need a tank the size of a rice paddy.

372xp said:
I believe betta imbellis will live with females and other males but otherwise you would need a tank the size of a rice paddy.
Even wild Betta splendens can be kept together in pairs, but not your average betta at the pet store.

I agree with Flute and RCA

No. These are the combinations for bettas
Male and male. Do not put them together.
Male and female. No
Female and female yes!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back