Is There A Way To Hook Two Airlines Into The Same Air Pump?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AlexJordan

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I'm not too well versed in this kind of thing, but what I want to do is use one air pump for both a small sponge filter and an airstone. Is this possible?

yes, cut the tubes and buy a spliter, ezpz then attach them to that but get the right size

I would recommend a three way ailrine splitter. You run the output of the pump into the input of the splitter. Then run the airstone off one of the outputs and the sponge filter one of the other outputs. Each output is adjustable for air output with the lever. The third output can be either turned off, used for another airstone, or just used to help cont rol overall air output to the other two outputs.

Available on amazon..ther are several manufacturers..this is one

https://www.amazon.com/Jardin-Aquaculture-Control-3-Way-Aquarium/dp/B008SNLVJ0/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472692666&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Aquarium+arline+3+way+valve

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
fish4.jpg

Twin outlet pumps like this one are available. Just ask your local store or google it
yes.gif

I agree, a gang valve is my vote. Air line from pump attached to one end. Air lines from filter, air stone, mermaid, etc attached to valve controlled connections. Usually made to hang on tank rim (side, back). PetSmart has some nice lever controlled metal valves for $6 for 3-way, $8 for 4-way giving you future expansion. Cheaper plastic ones also available. Universally available at LFS. At one time I had 2 4-way valves hooked in series from one pump running 8 sponge filters in seven tanks.

Yep, have to agree a air valve is the way to go.

They can be bought very cheaply, a few bucks at most. They come in all sorts of sizes from 1 way to 8 way or more. Usually made of plastic or metal. There are various designs of these from a simple valve to one that you can hang on the back or side of the fish tank. Worth browsing through to see which you like best.

SImply put, they are a valve in which you attach a airline hose from the pump to the connector, and connect two separate airlines for each airstone.
Turn the valve handle to get the desired amount of bubbles coming out of airstones, cannot be simpler really.

2 way air valve.jpg

But I will add one other thing, it is good practice to get a couple of non return or check valves as well. Again, these can be bought very cheaply, for a few bucks at most really. Comes in either plastic or metal.

Non return valves.jpg

This is basically to stop any water getting from the tank to your air pump which could irreversibly damage the pump (or worse!)

A simple diagram set up for a single airstone with a non return valve to give you the general idea. (not my pic btw, taken from a general online site)

Non return valve setup.jpg

And one last thing, ensure your air pump is powerful enough for 2 airstones. Some of these cheap airpumps are pretty weak powered that can only supply enough air for one airstone.

Though has to be said most half decent air pumps can power 2 or 3 airstone without too much trouble at all.

Yep, gang valve.  I have had one for years.  You can regulate air with it too

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back