What's new

Is she pregnant??

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Nightvision

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a lovely pair of (Black, not Blue Moscow I believe) guppies and I’m not sure if the lady is pregnant?

Could anyone help me please?

I’ve attached a photo for more information :)

Attachments

• 05B0A219-2B8B-4F6C-BCED-F0D05AEE05A1.jpeg
    05B0A219-2B8B-4F6C-BCED-F0D05AEE05A1.jpeg
    573.9 KB · Views: 313
Yes she looks pregnant. However, if she doesn't give birth in the next few months she could be full of worms. But she is most likely pregnant if she has been in a tank with a male :)

Yes she looks pregnant. However, if she doesn't give birth in the next few months she could be full of worms. But she is most likely pregnant if she has been in a tank with a male :)

Hi Colin T, thanks for your message!

She has been in a tank with males so I hope that she’s pregnant, worms sounds horrific! :-/

At a guess how far along would you say that she is?

This is my first expectant fish so thank you for your comments :)

I thought that but managed to get a good look at her earlier (she tends to hide quite a bit) and she has little ‘white lights’ near her gravid spot - google reckons that these are babies....

Any suggestions on when to put her in a breeder box? - I don’t have a second tank.

Don't put her in a breeding box, just add lots of plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides) for her and the babies to hide in. Water Sprite can float or be planted in the gravel. :)

Ordered some water sprite today :) - I’ve heard that Frogbit is good for fry as well, is this true?

I think she may have miscarried though :(

Although it looks as if the other two might be carrying now as well!! - Typhoon, the male, has been very excitable around them all this evening! :O

Water Sprite is the better choice between the two plants. Unless Frogbit has been in a tank for a while and developed a decent root system, it is useless for fry. Water Sprite on the other hand has roots, leaves and branches for the fry and adult female to hide in.

If the females have been with a male, they will be pregnant. :)

When it arrives I have some tank water to wash it in. Do I need to do anything else with it before I add it to my tank?

Not surprised, he’s looking awesome at a the moment! Really growing well and his colour is beautiful (phone doesn’t do him justice!)

Attachments

• FE5DD590-D803-400B-B244-690CF01AC91E.jpeg
    FE5DD590-D803-400B-B244-690CF01AC91E.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 287
  • 7E961A89-17BB-4D5E-82B4-00590D4D9AD0.jpeg
    7E961A89-17BB-4D5E-82B4-00590D4D9AD0.jpeg
    377.8 KB · Views: 323
You can wash the plants under tap water, it doesn't have to be tank water. Just give them a good rinse under the tap, maybe slosh them about in a bucket of water and check them for snails. Then put them in the tank. If a few leaves break off during the rinse, put them in the tank too because they usually grow into new plants.

Guppies are hyper prolific, my poor girls can’t get a break, new fry pop up every day, I love black Moscow guppies your fry will look great!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back