Is Sand Safe For Bettas?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lycaena

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Getting a new bigger tank tomorrow, realllly wanna do sand instead of gravel, looks so much nicer. My friend who also has bettas says sand is totally fine as long as it isn't fine sand. But I have been googling for more info and have found some people sayin it can kill bettas? Just wonderin what everyone thinks, or if anyone has used or currently uses sand in their tanks? Thanks!

in a word, yes!

i have sand in my 180l divided betta tank.

use argos play sand, its cheaper and does the same.

i shouldnt think fine or coarse matters

in a word, yes!

i have sand in my 180l divided betta tank.

use argos play sand, its cheaper and does the same.

i shouldnt think fine or coarse matters

my friend said that the fine sand might get into their gills. he said definitely not to use the live sand that is for salt water, and recommended to go to the home depot and buy some cheap sand from there
i really want white sand, and he said i could use pool filter sand? have u heard of that?

i have never heard of any issues with fine sand, but no, live sand is no good and will cost an arm and a leg.

tbh, dunno about white sand, or pool sand, the sand i use (argos) isnt that yellow either

but, its your choice. at least you know its all safe - just ensure you wash anything you get well til the water runs clear in the bucket

are you in the US or UK?

US.
i guess ill go look at what theyve got tomorrow

Toys 'R Us has really good sand. You barely have to wash it at all. But plants don't like it that much.

Sand is fine for bettas, but it's a PITB to clean. I have white sand in my 5.5 gallon...Oh man. EVERY little piece of food or poop shows up on it, and I probably won't use sand again, unless I have cories, or some other type of bottom feeder that will keep it clean.
I bought my sand from my LFS. It's plain, white aquarium sand. Not live sand. But I paid an arm and a leg for it.

ive seen the plain white sand at my lfs too. 20ish lbs for liek 25 bucks. it seems expensive, but i think i am just gonna buy that,
that way ill know for sure it is a safe type to put in my tank.
ive also read that you have to have your filter off for a while after putting the sand in the tank, til it settles so it doesnt ruin the filter?
now heres my new question...would the filter accidentally suck some up on its own? and ruin it?

no.

mine just needs cleaning more often when i have a good mooch round it sucks up sand but wont harm it, just clog it

I use pool filter sand in my tanks and i love it....and for 50 lbs it was only $7!!!! definitely worth it....and i can experiment with different landscapes and looks becuase I have plenty to spare...and at that price...I don't mind it lol

home depot...got a 40# bag of "play sand" (for sandboxes) for like $5..no matter which type you do decide to get, make sure you rinse it well to get rid of the silt. can do a number on the impeller in the filter. not to mention making the water cloudy for some time until it settles.
cheers

Most reactions

trending

Back