Is ph too high

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Airbear

Reaction score
I have all soft water fish from South America and my water is really hard do I need to try to change the ph

Serpae black ruby and phantom tetras a panda Cory and a bn pleco are the fish I have

Just how hard is "really hard"? You should be able to find your hardness somewhere on your water provider's website - we need both the number and the unit (they could use any one of about half a dozen different units). If they also give alkalinity, tell us that as well - it's water companies' term for KH.

And it’s tested 7.6 from the tap with water that sat 24 hrs

You need to know that pH is not a measurement of hardness. The pH level will only give you information about the acidity or alkalinity of your water. Hardness is a measure of how much mineral content is dissolved in the water.

Most water companies will use some sort of degree to measure hardness; it could be GH, KH, dH ° or even something else.

It is generally true, that in nature, hard water will have a high, alkaline pH, while soft water has a low, acidic pH, but the two scales are actually independent of each other and, especially in commercial water supplies, you can have water with a high pH level that is actually soft, and vice versa.

It is perfectly possible (though you should never do this to water your fish have to live in!) to make the pH drop without changing the hardness at all.

The hardness of water is far more important to fish than the pH.

pH and hardness are not directly related. Changing either at your source is a PITA and best avoided if possible. I'm no expert but do keep South Americans. Your fish should be ok at 7.6 as long as it is relatively stable.

I understand that it is easier for "soft water" fish to adapt to hard water than the other way around. My own water is very hard: 16-18 GH and > 20 for KH and I have never had any problems.

P.S. Corys like friends and are best kept in groups.

im Looking for another Cory that can buddy up with him

It is generally true, that in nature, hard water will have a high, alkaline pH, while soft water has a low, acidic pH, but the two scales are actually independent of each other and, especially in commercial water supplies, you can have water with a high pH level that is actually soft, and vice versa.

My pH is 7.5 but I have softish water at 4.76 dH (aka German degrees) and 85 ppm (aka mg/l calcium carbonate). These are the two units used in fishkeeping. (My water company also gives my hardness in mg/l calcium, degrees Clark and degrees French, a total of 5 different units - this is why we need the unit as well as the number)

I would go to your water compnay's website and do a search there for hardness. If you prefer, tell us the name of your water provider and we can look for you.

You need more panda cories than just one more - at least 5 more, or even more than that, tank size permitting. Cories are shoaling fish which should be kept in a group of the same species.

Yes if anyone knows how to look it up I live inHartford vermont

Do you know the name of the company that provides your water? It should be somewhere on a water bill.

I just moved here and all my bills are included I’ll try to look it up

I got some blue rasboras and one has ick this time I’m trying raising the temperature and using salt is that safe for Amano shrimp and Cory cats

Any advice on how to do this would be awesome

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back