Is my water suitable for a Betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I live in a soft water area and eventually I am planning on setting up a 5g fluval spec v hopefully. As previously adviced on another thread a Betta is the only fish suitable for this tank so I am wondering if the water would be ok. I do have salt minerals to hand to make the water harder if needed as I have a 10g guppy tank too. The tank would be a fish in cycle. I have attached water peramters from my local water supplier. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

• 1491D3A0-7F08-458F-B442-6241FCAD2BCB.jpeg
    1491D3A0-7F08-458F-B442-6241FCAD2BCB.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 159
Yes, that is fine for soft water species like Betta. Clarke 1 degree is equivalent to 14.29 ppm, so 1.68 is 24 ppm, or 1.3 dGH. Very soft. [I think I have the Clarke conversion right, essjay or someone can correct me ifnot.]

Yes, that is fine for soft water species like Betta. Clarke 1 degree is equivalent to 14.29 ppm, so 1.68 is 24 ppm, or 1.3 dGH. Very soft. [I think I have the Clarke conversion right, essjay or someone can correct me ifnot.]
Many thanks for your response Byron. I’m glad the water will be suitable. How long do you recommend leaving the tank to run once set up before adding a fish in? Do I add live plants before or after I add the fish? Or with the fish? I’ve read bettas don’t need an air pump and some appreciate one because they prefer still water. Is this true? Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your response Byron. I’m glad the water will be suitable. How long do you recommend leaving the tank to run once set up before adding a fish in? Do I add live plants before or after I add the fish? Or with the fish? I’ve read bettas don’t need an air pump and some appreciate one because they prefer still water. Is this true? Thank you very much for your help.

Plant the tank when you set it up. Get the aquascape as you want it, including any plants, and fill the tank. I prefer letting a new tank (or one I have re-set) for a day or two to make sure equipment is functioning properly and things are the way I want them in the tank. One Betta is not going to have cycling issues, especially with plants assuming some are floating.

Betta splendens occurs in still waters, such as swamps, ditches, rice paddies and ponds. While fish today will be commercially bred/raised, this does not change their DNA with respect to habitat preferences. With weekly water changes of half the tank, and plants particularly floaters, you don't need a filter. Being anabantids they breathe air so keep the air above the water surface warm (achieved with a basic tank cover).

Plant the tank when you set it up. Get the aquascape as you want it, including any plants, and fill the tank. I prefer letting a new tank (or one I have re-set) for a day or two to make sure equipment is functioning properly and things are the way I want them in the tank. One Betta is not going to have cycling issues, especially with plants assuming some are floating.

Betta splendens occurs in still waters, such as swamps, ditches, rice paddies and ponds. While fish today will be commercially bred/raised, this does not change their DNA with respect to habitat preferences. With weekly water changes of half the tank, and plants particularly floaters, you don't need a filter. Being anabantids they breathe air so keep the air above the water surface warm (achieved with a basic tank cover).

Many thanks for your reply. I’ll make sure I put all the plants in first. I don’t usually use floating plants as they aren’t available as much as normal ones are at my local shop. However I could look into getting some online I am sure. I was thinking with planting maybe a few different types of echinodorus plants. I prefer these best from all of the plants I’ve purchased so far. The tank comes with filter designed for a separate hidden compartment of the tank. What do you recommend feeding? Thank you for your help.

Forgive me, but I have to ask. Why are you going to do a fish in cycle if you don’t already have the fish? A fishless cycle would be so much safer and less stressful to the betta.

Forgive me, but I have to ask. Why are you going to do a fish in cycle if you don’t already have the fish? A fishless cycle would be so much safer and less stressful to the betta.

Thanks for your response. I’ve never done a fishless cycle before because I don’t think this is the right option for myself personally. I have attempted a fishless cycle before and wasn’t very successful. I didn’t even make it to the point of being able to add fish but instead I emptied the tank and left it for a while. I understand it is a lot less stressful for the fish to do it fishless cycle.

Thanks for your response. I’ve never done a fishless cycle before because I don’t think this is the right option for myself personally. I have attempted a fishless cycle before and wasn’t very successful. I didn’t even make it to the point of being able to add fish but instead I emptied the tank and left it for a while. I understand it is a lot less stressful for the fish to do it fishless cycle.
You say you haven’t done one then you say you have. I’m confused. I believe the only time you should do a fish in cycle is when you weren’t aware of the nitrogen cycle or an emergency. Just my opinion but I believe it’s cruel to the fish. How would you like to be placed in a room full of toxins to breathe? We have a responsibility to give these fish the best possible care we can. I’m sure others will disagree with me and it’s just my own personal opinion.

Last edited:
The tank would be a fish in cycle.
You have another tank that is almost cycled. Take some of the filter media from the guppy tank and use it in the Betta tank so you won't have to do a fish in cycle.

Get some Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta). It is a floating plant but can also be planted in the substrate. It is the best plant for Bettas and guppies. Buy 1 plant and let it grow on the surface, then start planting it in the substrate.

You say you haven’t done one then you say you have. I’m confused. I believe the only time you should do a fish in cycle is when you weren’t aware of the nitrogen cycle or an emergency. Just my opinion but I believe it’s cruel to the fish. How would you like to be placed in a room full of toxins to breathe? We have a responsibility to give these fish the best possible care we can. I’m sure others will disagree with me and it’s just my own personal opinion.

Thanks for your reply. I don’t class myself to have “done a fishless cycle” just attempted one seen as though I didn’t make it to the end before tearing the whole thing down. I understand that it can be considered cruel but with the correct procedure a fish in cycle can be handled with large weekly water changes I think. And of course testing of the water.

Last edited:
You have another tank that is almost cycled. Take some of the filter media from the guppy tank and use it in the Betta tank so you won't have to do a fish in cycle.

Get some Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta). It is a floating plant but can also be planted in the substrate. It is the best plant for Bettas and guppies. Buy 1 plant and let it grow on the surface, then start planting it in the substrate.

Many thanks for your reply Colin. This is a great idea if my media in my guppy tank was big enough. It is a tiny little sponge designed for my small filter. The one in the fluval spec V is very large in comparison and has biomedical balls and carbon too. I’m unsure as to how I could do this to be honest. I’ve never heard of this plant by will look it up. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Can you cut the filter sponge in half?

If the sponge is really small, stick another sponge against it and leave them together for a week. The bacteria will spread onto the new sponge and you can move that into the new tank to help speed things up.

Can you cut the filter sponge in half?

If the sponge is really small, stick another sponge against it and leave them together for a week. The bacteria will spread onto the new sponge and you can move that into the new tank to help speed things up.

Thanks for the reply. As you can see from the photo attached the sponge is quite small. The only way I could leave the both of them together is if I remove the established media from my guppy tank for a week.

Attachments

• 7AB9CDE2-D053-4665-B2F8-4DFCE3BEF9A9.jpeg
    7AB9CDE2-D053-4665-B2F8-4DFCE3BEF9A9.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 96

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back