Is My Tetra Pregnant?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

zash

Reaction score
ok i want to know if my tetra is pregnant
1.-i don't know what kind of tetra it is if you could tell me that would be great
2.- if she's pregnant what should i do?
Imagen032.jpg

Imagen031.jpg

Imagen030.jpg

i know their not the best pics but is realy hard to take a photo to this little fish

Hi zash

That is a glowlight tetra. I have a shoal in my tank. Even though she may look pregnant... she is not. They all look like that. Other people might say she is because they are more of an expert than me.

Hope this helps

Sam :good:

but in the last pic you can see the difference the other one is thin and this one is fat
thanks mark and altselgreen

:lol: :lol: :lol:

tetras lay eggs, more than likely due to the sex of the fish females are normally bigger.

It does look bigger than the other one. Might just be a fat fish though. I've got a fat black widow tetra, its been looking like that for months.

Hope this Helps!

Sam

I have always been confused with egglayers. At least with livebearers, you know it's pregnant if they're huge and round. But with egglayers... :dunno:

Egglayers don't have to be huge/round/look "pregnant" in order to spawn, right? Can they produce eggs at will?

(sorry for the hi-jack!!!)

It depends on the species. Considering that most fish are egglayers and not livebearers, it makes sense that there are a lot of different ways they go about it. Most species do get larger with eggs when they are ready to spawn but it isn't necessary to be sucessful. And yes, they do look rounder when they are full of eggs. With glow light tetras like the one pictured above, the rounder one is probably a female if it's rounder than the others, but to my eye they all look rather thin. I'd like to see them fatten up a little bit, but it could just be because they are young and that'll come with time. I can't tell how long they are from the picture.

Tammy

the only egg layer that ive found that i can tell when she is going to lay her eggs is albino corys, i can deffinetly tell becaus ehtye go really round and just lie on the bottom until it takes place.
ive juts had alot of fry off her now around 50 :p

Last night I saw one of my glowlights spawning, amazing to watch.

Anyway she did look like your tetra shapewise. I have one other female in there and she is flat along the bottom of herbelly and not rounded like the egg carrying one was.

Dont think I'll get any babies because the other fish hoovered the eggs before they could reach the gravel.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back