Is my tank too full for shrimp and another snail

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bluebird42

Reaction score
I have a tank with 5 tetras, a betta, 2 very small baby snails (planning on moving them), 2 mystery snails and a few clams. Can I add another mystery snail and a ghost shrimp or two? I don't want to add any more unless I'm 100% sure it's okay

Honestly, I'd add one more tetra.

What size is the tank in question? I wouldn't want to advise you to overstock your tank.

I don't see any compatibility issues between these species though.

You're already on the verge of overstocking. I wouldn't advise you add anything to that tank.

I decided to move my baby snails into the tank with my other little snails - giving everyone in the 10g just a little more room. I won't be adding anything

Hmmm - I had no idea snails were that heavy on the bioload. I have always just ignored them when calculating capacity. I have no idea how many MTS are in my 55G.

But I did a check on AqAdvisor and according to that adding 10 MTS to the 15G I am setting up takes my planned stock level from 78% to 92% :eek:, and that's before the shrimp start reproducing. I did only add 4 and keep the tanks clean but there is no way I could restrict them to 10.

Oh, I'm glad you mentioned that website! I checked it out and it's pretty cool
AquStockImage.php

....It says I can fit some shrimp. Hmm.

You need to increase both species of tetra to at least 6 each, but your tank is not big enough to do that. Rather than get anything extra, I would see if the shop will part exchange one of your tetra species for more of the other, so you have just one tetra species but at least 6 of them. You can sometimes keep a mixed shoals of related tetras but the two you have are not in the same genus.

I would also rehome the frog, but that's because I had to move mine into a separate tank when I had frogs years ago as the fish ate all their food.

few clams.
Clams can be tricky to keep

Freshwater Clam Food & Water Conditions
Freshwater Clams are filter feeders subsisting on a diet of tiny bits of floating edible matter in the water column. The source of this “floating food” can be naturally occurring and from supplements.

Freshwater Clams like tanks that are not “too clean”. Aquarium water needs to have plenty of very tiny debris, detritus and decaying matter floating in it. This does not mean that the tank cannot be “aesthetically clean”, it simply means that aquarium water needs to contain sufficient levels of edible matter for the clam to eat. To this end, keeping Freshwater Clams in moderately or heavily planted tanks is a good idea. Live aquarium plants continuously shed edible plant matter into the water column.

In most cases, feeding a Freshwater Clam naturally occurring edible material is not enough. It may be necessary to supplement a clam’s diet with very finely ground Calcium enriched pellets or tablets, fish flakes or algae wafers. As these supplements dissolve, a Freshwater Clam will begin filter feeding them out. Keep in mind it’s important to avoid overfeeding as access organic matter in aquarium water will lead to water quality issues. Use common sense and test tank water for ammonia levels often.

Another important Freshwater Clam care issue relates to aquarium size and the amount of water it holds. There needs to be enough water in the tank to hold sufficient edible matter to support the clam’s nutritional needs. Some suggest one Freshwater Clam can be kept in small tanks like a 10 gallon aquarium. Small tanks may suffice, but in general, the bigger the tank the better. A 29 gallon aquarium may be a safer choice for one clam.

https://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/freshwater-clams/

5 tetras, a betta,
Bettas and Tetras are not good tank mates,

You need to increase both species of tetra to at least 6 each, but your tank is not big enough to do that. Rather than get anything extra, I would see if the shop will part exchange one of your tetra species for more of the other, so you have just one tetra species but at least 6 of them. You can sometimes keep a mixed shoals of related tetras but the two you have are not in the same genus.

I would also rehome the frog, but that's because I had to move mine into a separate tank when I had frogs years ago as the fish ate all their food.

Clams can be tricky to keep

Bettas and Tetras are not good tank mates,

Thank both of you on the information on the tetras. I was misled into believing that glo and neons would shoal and that only 5 are needed, and that bettas get along okay
I know clams are hard to keep but they have been doing very good so far, the frog too.

Last edited:
Thank both of you on the information on the tetras. I was misled into believing that glo and neons would shoal
That is only true (in my experience) if you have a big school of each. When I had 6 glowlights and 6 cardinals they stayed in their own groups. Now I have 15 of each and they do shoal together which is pretty cool - but my tank is big enough to accomodate that many.

Honestly, I'd add one more tetra.

I didn't realize your tetras were two different breeds when I said this. Each *type* of tetra needs a group of 6. So you don't need 1 more tetra, you need 7 more.

@bluebird42 it's looking like you need another tank! Time to hit up craigslist, or some other buy/sell/trade site. You're in the US, right? Wally World has 10 gallon tanks with a lighted hood and filter for under $30 right now. I picked one up. They're not the greatest quality, but they work.

I am going to make arrangements to rehome the glo tetras and get 3 more neons - is it true I can't keep tetras with my betta? They seem to be doing well together and they don't interact....I read on a few sites that it was ok...

I am sorry for being so misinformed - it seems like every website says something different :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back