is my tank overstocked??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

baileyblue

Reaction score
hi, I'm new and i was just wondering -- they all seem fine and are perfectly happy, but i just wanted to check that this was okay
i have:
4x cherry shrimp (but they are breeding quickly so i've had to move the babies!)
2x rosy barb (I know i need more and am getting some this weekend - i didn't do research before!!)
5x congo tetra
3x elegant cory
1x betta
5x endlers
1x snail (i don't know what kind, it came with plants)

my tank is 20 gallons, also, i do 30 percent water changes each week

Last edited:
Welcome to TFF.

I am afraid you have a couple issues with these fish in a 20g tank.

1. Betta (assuming a male) is not a community fish; it should be on its own (no other fish), in a 5 gallon would be OK. You are going to have problems here for sure...you may not see anything now, but with these fish in such small space (to them it is small) they may be too afraid to show their "true colours" yet, but that will likely change.

2. Congo Tetra need much more space, at least a 3-foot tank but much better in a 4-foot. The will grow to around 4 inches, and they do like to race each other from time to time. They need more space so they can develop and grow properly.

3. Rosy barb is also a shoaling fish (like the Congo) so they need a group of six or more. Same size as for the Congo. This fish will attain 3 inches, though some report them close to six inches.

I do not know if you have a larger tank now, but something has to happen to resolve the above.

Byron.

Welcome to TFF.

I am afraid you have a couple issues with these fish in a 20g tank.

1. Betta (assuming a male) is not a community fish; it should be on its own (no other fish), in a 5 gallon would be OK. You are going to have problems here for sure...you may not see anything now, but with these fish in such small space (to them it is small) they may be too afraid to show their "true colours" yet, but that will likely change.

2. Congo Tetra need much more space, at least a 3-foot tank but much better in a 4-foot. The will grow to around 4 inches, and they do like to race each other from time to time. They need more space so they can develop and grow properly.

3. Rosy barb is also a shoaling fish (like the Congo) so they need a group of six or more. Same size as for the Congo. This fish will attain 3 inches, though some report them close to six inches.

I do not know if you have a larger tank now, but something has to happen to resolve the above.

Byron.

ahh ok thanks, ill move them to my bigger tank as soon as i can, should i do that gradually or all fish at once? in there i already have mollies; i don't know what to do with the betta as they are nippers - would he be okay in the 20g?

ahh ok thanks, ill move them to my bigger tank as soon as i can, should i do that gradually or all fish at once? in there i already have mollies; i don't know what to do with the betta as they are nippers - would he be okay in the 20g?

The Betta alone in the 20g, fine. This fish is a loner.

Is the larger tank cycled?

You mention mollies...now we have fish with very different requirements regarding water parameters (hardness and pH). What are your source water parameters?

The Betta alone in the 20g, fine. This fish is a loner.

Is the larger tank cycled?

You mention mollies...now we have fish with very different requirements regarding water parameters (hardness and pH). What are your source water parameters?

for which tank? and yes the larger tank has been cycled i cycled for three months, the mollies have been in there for six and are very happy :)

for which tank? and yes the larger tank has been cycled i cycled for three months, the mollies have been in there for six and are very happy :)

I asked about source water parameters, meaning the GH, KH and pH of your source water which would presumably be the tap water on its own. The GH and KH will not change much in an aquarium, pH may depending upon the GH and KH, unless you specifically target the GH/KH.

"Target" means doing something to adjust the parameters within the aquarium. For example, having calcareous substances such as substrate or rock will dissolve mineral into the water, raising the GH/KH/pH.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back