Is My Tank Overstocked?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ajvoss

Reaction score
I know the following questions might sound dumb but please hear me out. I've had my tank for two years ish and never had a fish die on me. I recently added 5 more neon Tetra to have a lager school of them. So as of now, I have 12 neon Tetra and 4 Platies in my 21 gallon tank. Technically there is 22" of fish in my tank. I was wondering if I could add some shrimp into my tank because I don't have any lower level fish. I was thinking that it didn't matter because the 12 neon tetras always school together and don't take up much room¿

The people at my LFS say my tank is overstocked, but I have do 33-50% water changes with a gravel vac on mondays, then 25% water change only on fridays. I also have a over the top filter meant for 30 gallon tanks.

Should I refrain from buying some shrimp? And is my tank overstocked? Is there an alternative to shrimp that I should consider? Do I have to remove fish?

Thanks!!

I would rehouse the Platies and keep the tetras.

Should I refrain from buying some shrimp?
The tetras will eat the baby shrimp for sure. The adults may be ok they may not.

And is my tank overstocked?
With the tetras no.

Is there an alternative to shrimp that I should consider?
If you are looking for a good clean up crew Malaysian Trumpet snails are great and to keep them under control 2 assassin snails.

I know the following questions might sound dumb but please hear me out. I've had my tank for two years ish and never had a fish die on me. I recently added 5 more neon Tetra to have a lager school of them. So as of now, I have 12 neon Tetra and 4 Platies in my 21 gallon tank. Technically there is 22" of fish in my tank. I was wondering if I could add some shrimp into my tank because I don't have any lower level fish. I was thinking that it didn't matter because the 12 neon tetras always school together and don't take up much room¿

The people at my LFS say my tank is overstocked, but I have do 33-50% water changes with a gravel vac on mondays, then 25% water change only on fridays. I also have a over the top filter meant for 30 gallon tanks.

Should I refrain from buying some shrimp? And is my tank overstocked? Is there an alternative to shrimp that I should consider? Do I have to remove fish?

Thanks!!
First I must say I am not expert but just to share my own experience, I have a tank with neon and shrimp and in my case for a 21L tank , it ready to hold up to 20 to 25 neon (let say we ignore if they prefer more space or not )
So I think in your case is just fine to add shrimp special shrimp seems to have very very low bio load ,

I currently have 20 neon in a 25L tank with 15 crystal shrimp

What is more concerning is the parameters of the water that they do have have the exact preferrence toward the water

Neon seem preferring a more soften water against my shrimp and if you let them have water which is somewhat in the middle of what they wanted , they will be just fine but may not be breeding much ( if you want them to breed )

Finally a stock of fishes which is close to the max capacity may experience problem with no3 , now again in natural environment, no3 is mostly low and high no3 are not good for shrimp and fishes anyway but that maybe something you pay attention to ,

As long as you are not trying to breed them , and as long as your water doesn't experience problem with ammonia or no2, that's should be just fine, in my case the 20 neon and shrimp are just fine living together and experience Min dead

P.s my water is around pH 7 , ammonia 0, no2 0 , no3 10, GH 100, and I do have plants and a diy no3 reactor

The tank had been running for one year

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

(let say we ignore if they prefer more space or not )

Lets say we NOT ignore the fact that the tank is too small and badly over socked.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back