Is my tank nearly fully stocked?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thanks! I'm using tetra dechlorinator. The directions only state to use 5ml per 10 gallons (so 1/2 a mL for 1 gallon) I'm using 1 gallon milk jugs to refill, how many drops would you estimate I need to add per gallon? LOL

First, I would buy two buckets that hold 2.5 to 3 gallons. You can get these at home improvement or hardware stores, probably some grocery stores. Only use them for fish (write "FISH" on the outside with a marker pen). This will allow you to change 2 gallons per bucket (filling it to the brim makes it difficult to carry).

You will then be able to add conditioner using a dropper. You can get these in medical supply places like drug stores, some pharmacies in grocery stores. Again use only for fish things. They will have ml marked along the tube.

So using the Tetra conditioner, from your numbers it would be 0.5 ml for the bucket of 2 gallons of water.

You mentioned earlier that you’re unable to use your kitchen faucet due to the type of faucet you have. I had the same problem. My sink had an overflow attachment for the dishwasher next to the faucet. I was able to remove that and put a hook shaped bar faucet on there. I can now screw my Python into that faucet. Don’t know if that is an option for you but has sure made tank cleaning easier for me.

You mentioned earlier that you’re unable to use your kitchen faucet due to the type of faucet you have. I had the same problem. My sink had an overflow attachment for the dishwasher next to the faucet. I was able to remove that and put a hook shaped bar faucet on there. I can now screw my Python into that faucet. Don’t know if that is an option for you but has sure made tank cleaning easier for me.
Thanks, just checked but couldnt find any attachment. Would have made water changes a lot easier...

I do what Byron suggested, I have done for the last 20+ years.

I currently have a 180 litre tank, which converts to 47.6 gallons, the same size as your tank. I use a siphon to clean the bottom of the tank into a 12 litre bucket (2.6 gallons). I fill the bucket several times and empty it down the outside drain. My refilling bucket holds 11 litres (2.4 gallons) which I fill with 9.5 litres (2 gallons) water, and I add dechlorinator to the bucket at the dose rate for this volume of water. I fill this bucket in the kitchen sink then carry it to the dining room where my tank is. I put the bucket of water on a tall stool and use a jug to ladle the water into the tank. I can't pour the water straight from the bucket because the top of the tank is level with my collar bone, and I can't lift a bucketful of water that high and keep control of it :)

Yes it can be tedious doing this but if it's what the fish need, that's what I do. To be honest, the most tedious part is waiting for the kettle to boil to warm each bucket of new water. It takes ages in winter.

Wow! I take Python’s and hot water heaters for granted down here in South Texas. Hats off to you guys.

Hi everyone,

I have a 45 gallon that currently has: 12 neon tetras, 6 rasboras, a pleco that shouldn't grow over 4-5", 2 sparkling guaramis and some live grass. I was thinking about adding 6 more rasboras, but will that be overdoing it?

The tank has been stocked for 2 weeks, I changed 25% of the water 2 days ago and nitrates don't ever exceed 5 ppm.

Please check the following website to determine whether if would be ok to increase your current stocking levels based on your tank size and filter:

http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Aqadvisor, like other stocking calculators, is not very reliable. Both eaglesaquarium (post #4) and Byron (post #10) have already made this comment.

I take Python’s and hot water heaters for granted down here in South Texas

Our kitchen tap won't accommodate a python, or even a plain hosepipe. Besides, I once used the word bacteria - as in filter bacteria - where my husband could hear it so I am not allowed to get tank water anywhere near the kitchen sink, or the bathroom. Don't pythons suck water out of the tank and down the sink? I'd never get away with that :rolleyes:

Our kitchen tap won't accommodate a python, or even a plain hosepipe. Besides, I once used the word bacteria - as in filter bacteria - where my husband could hear it so I am not allowed to get tank water anywhere near the kitchen sink, or the bathroom. Don't pythons suck water out of the tank and down the sink? I'd never get away with that :rolleyes:

:big_boss: One of the advantages of living alone as I do is that I call the shots, period.

But as for the tap/faucet and Python, I have a utility room with a laundry sink, and I had the faucet replaced with the brass type that has threads just like an outdoor faucet, so I can hook up the Python and run hot/cold (essjay, I know you cannot use your hot). It means a 75-foot hose to the fish room, but with eight tanks and some over 100 gallons, this would never occur if I was confined to the buckets.

All the other taps, including those in the kitchen (next door to the fish room) are the "refined" type.

I was amazed by my husband last summer. I had cataract surgery and was not allowed to lift a bucket of water for 4 weeks. Not only did he carry the buckets for me but actually emptied the old water over the plants in the garden :eek:

I keep a big gallon jug of bleach under my kitchen sink. I use it several times a day. Lol! Bleach and water is what was used in the hospital I worked in. Best cleaner for most bacteria. I probably have the most germ free kitchen in America! Lol

I keep a big gallon jug of bleach under my kitchen sink. I use it several times a day.
Be careful with bleach because it can damage your lungs and sinuses if the fumes build up in the room and not enough fresh air dilutes it.

--------------------------
For everyone tipping their old aquarium water down the drain, you are better off pouring it on the lawn or garden so the bacteria and other microscopic organisms in the tank, don't end up in the local river after going through the sewerage treatment plant.

Unfortunately, with a Python it goes right down the drain. I do pour tank water on my plants outside and they love it!

Be careful with bleach because it can damage your lungs and sinuses if the fumes build up in the room and not enough fresh air dilutes it.

--------------------------
For everyone tipping their old aquarium water down the drain, you are better off pouring it on the lawn or garden so the bacteria and other microscopic organisms in the tank, don't end up in the local river after going through the sewerage treatment plant.
I changed out about 30% last Wednesday after checking the nitrate levels. They were still around 5 (well, somewhere between 0-5ppm) I think my tank is probably understocked, but I'd rather be understocked knowing that my nitrates will remain under control. I am very careful about only feeding once a day and have acquired several small/medium sized plants. Wednesday is my water change day so I will remain vigilant about changing at least 1/4 of the water every week...I desperately need another 2 gallon bucket, right now I'm hauling 10-11 milk jugs with fresh water. I add the dechlor to the tank prior to adding, but I'm always afraid to dump the clean water where the fish are because of temperature variances and potential for exposure to chlorine. I've noticed they like to follow the bubbles and be wherever I put in the new water. It's like they enjoy it.

Last edited:
I do what Byron suggested, I have done for the last 20+ years.

I currently have a 180 litre tank, which converts to 47.6 gallons, the same size as your tank. I use a siphon to clean the bottom of the tank into a 12 litre bucket (2.6 gallons). I fill the bucket several times and empty it down the outside drain. My refilling bucket holds 11 litres (2.4 gallons) which I fill with 9.5 litres (2 gallons) water, and I add dechlorinator to the bucket at the dose rate for this volume of water. I fill this bucket in the kitchen sink then carry it to the dining room where my tank is. I put the bucket of water on a tall stool and use a jug to ladle the water into the tank. I can't pour the water straight from the bucket because the top of the tank is level with my collar bone, and I can't lift a bucketful of water that high and keep control of it :)

Yes it can be tedious doing this but if it's what the fish need, that's what I do. To be honest, the most tedious part is waiting for the kettle to boil to warm each bucket of new water. It takes ages in winter.
Thanks!

I went to Wal-Mart over the weekend and purchased a 4 gallon bucket. This should make it much easier to change out 25-50% of the water without making too much of a mess. I thoroughly rinsed the bucket with hot water, but didn’t use Dawn because I feared there may be some residue left over. How safe is using a car wash bucket and how thoroughly does it need to be cleaned before using to add clean water? Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Back