Is My Tank Cycling? Noob To The Hobby - I've Also Read The "re

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Absolutely, I too am somewhat confused, just hope all makes sense sooner or later (sooner preferably
tongue2.gif
)

But a decent idea to post a pic of a full tank shot and perhaps a couple of closer shots of plants o we can hel pidentify what plants they are.

And also, am not sure what test kit you are actually using at the moment to get these readings, you do say you use a test kit with tablets but this is unknown to me tbh, so to know this test kit barnd and type for sure may help as well.
(There are diferences in accuracies between certain brands and types of test kits so it does help to know this at times.)

Ch4rlie said:
There appears to be some conflicting advice being given on this thread about cycling.

Akasha initially did seem to suggest a kind of 'fish in cycle' at first, this is cycling a tank using the fish as a source of ammonia, this method by far is the riskiest as any issues that arises the fish will suffer.  A lot of water changes and testing is required, also takes longer to complete a successful cycle this way.

I don't think I did. I suggested a fishless cycle or the seeding method. I would never suggest a fish in cycle because that would be irresponsible 

Yeah, as i feared, I may have misinterpreted what you meant.

Akasha72 said:
If you use the seeding option you can go ahead and stock lightly straight away keeping an eye of ammonia and nitrite all the while. By stock lightly I mean adding 3 or 4 small fish. Once you have the bacteria it's a case then of keeping it alive and without an ammonia source it will die and by stocking lightly you are providing the ammonia source from the fish to keep it alive. Then it's just a case of going slowly and allowing it to replicate in time.

Thats where I got confused, and why i said it seems initially even with a seeding method, which i have done on several occasions, have never added fish.

I continued using this method as a fishless cycle, adding ammonia from a bottle at intervals until both the bacteria colonies have established and could deal with 2ppm or 3ppm ammonia/nitrite within 24 hours.

So with your suggestion of seeding with the addition of established  or squeeze of medi into the tank or filter, and then adding a few fish, this would count as a partial 'fish in cycle' would it not?

Apologies if this is not what you meant.

Unfortunately my phone isn't playing ball with pictures... There's some in my topic in the welcome section of the forum (titled: Hello!)

I have two anubias nanas, a crypt of some description, two grass like things, a few bunches of this leafy grass like thing, and a couple of these things which have shoots coming out of its stem which seem to hunt for stuff to grab on to... Edit: and also this long stemmed plant with big round leaves with small dark spots on - it has since grown new leaves with the same little spots on them

Not very descriptive I know.

At the start I put in a few catfish pellets.

I'm using Interpet Easy test I think it's called. Not sure on the accuracy, but compared to the LFS results, my nitrites and nitrates are definitely increasing quickly, and my ammonia did rise and then fall.

I am also comparing it to my tap water, and taking lots of readings. If you were to plot a graph there would be definite trends here.

no Ch4rlie ... when I set up my Rekord 800 for my angels to breed in I added the sponges to a bucket and emptied one of my main tanks externals into the bucket. I added an air stone and squeezed the sponges daily for nearly a week. Then I added the sponges to the tank and added the angel pair. I kept an eye on ammonia and nitrite for 2 weeks and saw no spikes at all. I was basicly looking at an instantly cycled tank. 

I've known of other fish keepers who have used this option to good effect. Provided you stock lightly and keep an eye on things it can work really well 

Hope that clears it up :)

Also, I may sound dumb here, but I can't see how it isn't in the process of cycling here when nitrites and nitrates are going up. Argh this us so confusing. Haha are there any fish out there which don't breathe or poop? A haha would solve All my problems :p

So yeh my mobile doesn't let me change the res. Thanks one plus! (shameless plug). And I'm away from my laptop. Funnily enough the full desktop version of the Web page doesn't seem to be the same when viewed on my mobile. As a Web developer myself this is rather interesting. I'll have a play tomorrow!

Back on topic, pictures will go up tomorrow :) I'm just so surprised how this has gone. Part of me is thinking about getting some ammonia, doing a 100% waterchange and just starting fresh using what bacteria I've got and controlling it all

I have two anubias nanas, a crypt of some description, two grass like things, a few bunches of this leafy grass like thing, and a couple of these things which have shoots coming out of its stem which seem to hunt for stuff to grab on to... Edit: and also this long stemmed plant with big round leaves with small dark spots on - it has since grown new leaves with the same little spots on them

OK, I found the photo.  The grass-like is probably Eleocharis.  The round leaves with spots is an Echinodorus variety (Amazon Sword, but a hybrid variety).  New leaves emerge from the centre of the Crown, and that is a good sign.  The "shoots" is probably the stem plant I can see, not sure what it is (might be Ludwigia), but stem plants grow as stems and from each node along the stem will arise leaves and often roots.  These are fast growers.  The Anubias must not be buried, that is, the thick rhyzome must not be buried; best attached to wood or rock.  I would suggest you get some floating plants if you can.

I would definitely not add any pure ammonia.  Ammonia is toxic to all life forms, including plants, and it is possible to kill off these plants with too much ammonia.  Once you have live plants in the tank, I would not add ammonia.

I still don't understand the ammonia and nitrite numbers, but again this may be due to the bio stuff, plus the catfish pellets, but more likely the bio stuff.  A few catfish pellets should not create ammonia such that you can measure it with a hobby test kit.

I almost hesitate to remain in this thread, as there are different methods being advised and that cannot work.  One or the other.  But with the plants present, I really would not do any form of "cycling."

Byron.

Thanks for the anubias tip! I'll get some cotton and tie it to my driftwood :)

Byron do you recommend that I sit tight and wait and see what happens? Should I do a water change?

Just my luck to have a weird tank... I'm thinking that the "bio-boost" is the ammonia source then... I'll be pleased when this bit is over, but equally so it's damn interesting!

So I wake up this morning and ammonia is trace, and nitrites look a little lower... I'm going to go see if my LFS has an Api master test kit.

Also, I uprooted my anubias's to attach them to the wood, but I couldn't find my thread. They had rooted a huge amount, so all I've done is Bury the bottom third of the roots in the sand, and they seem pretty secure :)

Sounds good actually.

Getting that API master test kit is a good idea,  though a little more expensive at LFS, usualy cheaper online at around £20 - £25 generally.

Its good fishkeeping practice to have one of these kits to test the water at intervals to make sure water is good for your stocking, or for when things are amiss with your tank, not just for cycling.

Anubias are fine having part of root buried into substrate, just as long as the rhizone of roots is not in substrate (crown part between the roots and stem of plant) otherwise that will rot.

Byron said:
I would definitely not add any pure ammonia.  Ammonia is toxic to all life forms, including plants, and it is possible to kill off these plants with too much ammonia.  Once you have live plants in the tank, I would not add ammonia.

Quite interesting you take this sort of stance. Of course this varies between fishkeepers and their preferences which is no bad thing at all.

I have always cycled a tank with live plants AND using ammonia with no ill effects on the plants as far as I could see. I usually set up the tank with plants and substrate etc, leave for 2 weeks to let plants settle, then start the cycling process by testing and adding ammonia to the required amount.

Byron said:
I almost hesitate to remain in this thread, as there are different methods being advised and that cannot work.  One or the other.  But with the plants present, I really would not do any form of "cycling."

I must say I agree with this statement, I found myself wondering whether I should start commenting on this thread when i saw the confusion about the different methods of cycling that was proposed on here to the op.

But it seems now that things have started to progress and appears that the bio boost and/or the catfish pellet was the initial reason why there was ammonia present.

I surely hope the bioboost does contain the relevant bacterias needed and if the test results so far is anything to go by, seems to be working. But its too early of course to be certain of this.

Hopefully once op gets a half decent test kit such as the API Master kit and start to give us more test readings, we can take things from there.

I'm starting to feel hesitant to comment on any threads ... I try to help but end up feeling like I've done something wrong when I know I havn't. The OP asked about cycling I tried to explain the two options (fishless cycle or seeding - which is perfectly acceptable if done carefully) and then read that I've somehow suggested a fish in cycle which I'd never do.

Bowing out now. Good luck with your tank marnold

Akasha72 said:
I'm starting to feel hesitant to comment on any threads ... I try to help but end up feeling like I've done something wrong when I know I havn't. The OP asked about cycling I tried to explain the two options (fishless cycle or seeding - which is perfectly acceptable if done carefully) and then read that I've somehow suggested a fish in cycle which I'd never do.

Bowing out now. Good luck with your tank marnold
Thanks for your help akasha, please don't think you haven't been helpful - you really have!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back